Program Specialist (Rental Subsidy & Services Program)
Working at Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS) means doing work that matters every day because of the difference you will make in the lives of children and families in Northern Virginia. NVFS’ breadth, depth and scope of services offer the resources and support to ensure that everyone in need, at every stage of life, maximizes their potential and fully contributes to a thriving community. At NVFS, we value the diversity of backgrounds, experience, perspectives, and skillsets that we collectively provide to our community, clients and coworkers. We celebrate and thrive on our differences and welcome everyone’s unique contributions.
Join the NVFS Family: We are looking to hire a Program Specialist to join the NVFS Community Housing team! The Program Specialist performs complex and confidential administrative related functions to ensure assigned program’s operations flow smoothly. The Specialist will provide essential coordination and oversight relating to the administrative requirements and provide quality customer service to landlords, partners and participants. The Specialist will assist in ensuring that the assigned program is ready to respond to all requests for data and audits. The Program Specialist is an integral member of the Housing Team and works collaboratively with all aspects of NVFS programs, representatives from Housing Departments, Departments of Social Service, local Continuum of Care (CoC), and representatives of other non-profit agencies and the faith community.
Rental Subsidy & Services Program (RSSP): NVFS is the provider for the Rental Subsidy & Services Program, an integral component of the Fairfax County Housing & Community Development initiative plan and will provide long-term rental subsidies to homeless individuals and families and households on the county’s affordable housing waiting lists. Services offered will focus on populations of greatest need in the county with an emphasis on those experiencing homelessness and persons with disabilities. In addition to providing rental subsidies to eligible households, other components of the Program will include providing services that assist clients in achieving self-sufficiency including case management, housing location, employment, SSA benefits, and critical-time intervention all while focusing on an equity lens.
Benefits and Compensation: We want you to be well, have work/life flexibility, grow your career with us, and have the resources and support you need. Check out our comprehensive benefit offerings here in support of various dimensions of your wellbeing. This position has a minimum starting salary of low to mid 40s.
Hours: This is a part-time benefitted role, requiring 30 hour per week.
Apply here today! https://bit.ly/3ZdZf8L
In this role, you will:
- Maintain responsibility for general administrative support functions to the department to ensure efficient program processes and procedures in support of the assigned program.
- Answer phone calls and respond to requests from clients, landlords, non-profit partners and county staff in a timely manner.
- Gather, verify, evaluate, and submit necessary social, financial, and medical information to determine program eligibility.
- Determine initial and continuing eligibility of households for assigned program.
- Prepare workbook summaries of findings to be used in authorization of eligibility for program, ensuring compliance with applicable programmatic, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Determine monthly subsidy payments.
- Maintain complete and accurate computerized and/or paper records of client eligibility and prepare reports as required.
- Ensure timely processing of applications to meet client needs and program mandates.
- Complete reinvestigations as required by program policy, to ensure continued eligibility for agency services.
- Explain and interpret agency policy, procedures, and rules to clients and other individuals.
- Inform clients of their rights and procedures for appeal.
- Compose, edit, proofread and distribute memos, letters and general correspondence as needed.
- Follow-up with clients, case managers and landlords as needed.
- Upon review of documentation, compile and prepare financial check requests for appropriate signatures.
- Maintain and perform data entry to ensure that clients are Ensure maintenance and integrity of database.
- Attend client case conferences.
- Maintain collaboration with Integrated Services Team & Community Support Services.
- Provide support in events planning.
- Prepare and assemble materials for various meetings.
- Maintains files in accordance with program requirements and NVFS guidelines.
- Participate in regular supervision with supervisor by providing regular updates.
- Maintain current level of knowledge on NVFS programs and events.
Your Background: We understand that you may obtain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least one (1) year of related work experience in administrative support
- Proficiency in usage of basic technological tools including laptops/computers, email, phones, and internet. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Oral and written fluency in English; other language skills always welcome.
- Must have some knowledge of mathematics and accounting principles used in eligibility calculation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with a diverse client base and landlords, including interviewing and negotiation principles and techniques.
- Ability to appropriately assess various client cases and situations and determine most appropriate course of action to ensure conformity with established eligibility guidelines.
- Must be able to demonstrate and live the organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability.
- Successful completion of background checks upon hire.
- In conjunction with our commitment to public safety and the requirements of many contracts, NVFS has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated with an approved COVID-19 vaccination in accordance with applicable law. Medical or religious accommodations may be requested.
NVFS is committed to advancing equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. NVFS is an E-Verify participant and drug-free workplace.
NVFS values diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, other members of marginalized communities, veterans and national service alumni.