Community Impact Internship (Part-Time)
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About The Program
The New York Road Runners Internship Program is a paid, 21-week experience spanning from Tuesday, June 20, 2023 to Friday, November 17, 2023, in which interns will learn from the best in the non-profit business.
Interns will work collaboratively with professionals in their field of study and have opportunities to network across the organization. The selected candidate will engage in professional development events and will be behind the scenes making a direct impact on our communities in New York City by working during select events, including the New York City Marathon.
Interns will receive onboarding and training to learn about NYRR and gain the knowledge needed to best perform in their role.
The Community Impact Internship
The Community Impact Intern will work with the Community Impact Department, which encompasses our Youth and Community Program, Community Engagement, and Development & Philanthropy teams.
- The Community Program function develops, administers, and supports a wide portfolio of programs, including our renowned Striders Walking/Fitness program, our Open Run platform, and youth programs such as Run for the Future and Youth Ambassadors that provide deep engagement with targeted groups.
- The Community Engagement function coordinates our community outreach efforts and manages relationships with like-minded organizations.
- The Development & Philanthropy function is responsible for securing financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations, and oversees the Team for Kids fundraising platform and NYRR’s membership program.
This position will assist with day-to-day program operations and communications essential to programmatic success by supporting the planning and coordination of events, schedules, and workshops. It will additionally provide programmatic support to the four Community Programs: NYRR Run for the Future, Youth Ambassadors, Striders, and Open Run.
Interns are expected to work 25 hours weekly, Monday to Friday, in a hybrid work setting. This role will also have weekend work (Saturdays or Sundays) to support NYRR events. Dates will be determined at the start of the internship and availability will be taken into account.
The NYRR events calendar can be viewed at https://www.nyrr.org/fullraceyearindex.
The following weekend events are mandatory for this position:
- Harlem 5K – Saturday, August 12, 2023
- 5th Avenue Mile – Sunday, September 10, 2023
- At least one Saturday or Sunday Open Run session in June and July
- Work with program staff and participants to identify opportunities for growth and improvement
- Support teammates in the coordination and execution of workshops and training sessions
- Maintain the calendar of events and provide support for all programs
- Prepare content for monthly newsletters
- Provide ongoing support with program reporting through Salesforce
- Maintain program inventory
- Provide customer support for program participants and caregivers by coordinating with team members to respond to inquiries and troubleshoot concerns, and escalating issues to supervisors when needed
- Inspire and communicate with participants from a variety of cultural backgrounds
- Collaborate with the outreach team to research and identify new partnerships based on interest
- Work independently on special projects as they arise
- Ability to commit to the internship schedule outlined above
- Sophomore or Junior in college, working towards a degree in Sports Management, Physical Education, Non-Profit Management, or a similar field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Punctuality and dependability
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Initiative to identify and offer suggestions for improvements or enhancements
- An understanding of the value of running in the community and an appreciation for community-based work
- Comfortable traveling to all current and potential sites in NYC (all boroughs)
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification required or willingness to obtain
- S. Center for SafeSport Certification required or willingness to obtain
- Willingness to be outside in the elements for the duration of event shifts
Applications for this internship will be accepted until March 22, 2023.
At New York Road Runners, we are committed to building an inclusive, diverse workplace by finding the best candidate for the job. We understand that skills come from a variety of different backgrounds. Checking off every single requirement on our job description is not necessary to apply. If you think you are a good fit and have a passion for the work we do, please submit your application. We are eager to learn about your experience and skills! You may be the right candidate for this or other open positions.