Volunteer Operations Internship (Part-Time)
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About The Program
The New York Road Runners Internship Program is a paid, 21-week experience spanning from Tuesday, June 20, 2023 to Friday, November 17, 2023, in which interns will learn from the best in the non-profit business.
Interns will work collaboratively with professionals in their field of study and have opportunities to network across the organization. The selected candidate will engage in professional development events and will be behind the scenes making a direct impact on our communities in New York City by working during select events, including the New York City Marathon.
Interns will receive onboarding and training to learn about NYRR and gain the knowledge needed to best perform in their role.
The Volunteer Operations Internship
The Volunteer Operations Intern will work with the Event Development & Production (ED&P) Team, which encompasses our Volunteer Operations Team.
- The Event Development and Production team of New York Road Runners hosts over 50 events annually, ranging from road, to cross country races, to 5ks, and marquee events like the TCS New York City Marathon
- The Volunteer Operations team supports not only NYRR but the Event Development and production team by recruiting, training, retaining, and showing their appreciation for over 25,000 volunteers each year.
- The Volunteer Operations team supports the ED&P team by providing knowledgeable volunteers to support all race day needs, from bag check to fluid stations to post race amenities. The Volunteer Operations manages their own recruitment efforts, communications, and training of all 25,000 dedicated volunteers.
This position will participate in key projects and activities to directly impact the department goals as it relates to the TCS New York City Marathon, including execution and management of specific volunteer needs for the race.
Interns are expected to work 25 hours weekly, Monday to Friday, in a hybrid work setting. This role will also have weekend work (Saturdays or Sundays) to support NYRR events. Dates will be determined at the start of the internship and availability will be taken into account.
The NYRR events calendar can be viewed at https://www.nyrr.org/fullraceyearindex.
- Work with the Volunteer Operations team, leading the charge in recruiting volunteer groups for the TCS New York City Marathon
- Support the team on various projects, including but not limited to volunteer engagement, training sessions, and monthly communications for the volunteer leadership program.
- Assist in creating posts for social media, letters of appreciation to individual volunteers, and planning and executing volunteer recognition events
- Upkeep accurate volunteer record tracking and data management through NYRR internal database, FRED, and assist with the Volunteer team’s email inbox
- Assist with set-up of Race Day Central on event day, including but not limited to building tents, moving signage and carrying supply boxes
- Ability to commit to the Internship Schedule outlined above
- Sophomore or Junior in college, working towards a degree in Non-Profit Management, Sports Management, or Event Management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work autonomously and complete projects independently, collaboratively, and cross-departmentally
- Willingness to be outside in the elements for the duration of event shifts
Applications for this internship will be accepted until March 22, 2023.
At New York Road Runners, we are committed to building an inclusive, diverse workplace by finding the best candidate for the job. We understand that skills come from a variety of different backgrounds. Checking off every single requirement on our job description is not necessary to apply. If you think you are a good fit and have a passion for the work we do, please submit your application. We are eager to learn about your experience and skills! You may be the right candidate for this or other open positions.