SuitUp Virtual Ad Hoc Competition Host
Position: Virtual Ad Hoc Competition Host
Location: U.S./Remote Available
Full-Time / Part-Time: Part-Time Contract Position
Salary: $100 per hour for hosting / $25 per hour for training
Start Date: We are hiring on a rolling basis
Overview of SuitUp
Founded in 2014, SuitUp is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that increases college and career awareness with students from underserved and under-resourced communities. SuitUp organizes student business competitions for corporate volunteers where employees help students solve a problem for a real company, like creating a new shoe for Nike or a new feature for Snapchat. Since inception, SuitUp has hosted competitions for organizations like Goldman Sachs, NBCUniversal, Forbes, Snap Inc. and many others, organizing events for over 10,000 volunteers and impacting more than 15,000 students.
You can see our virtual program in action here: https://vimeo.com/428645541.
With the extraordinary circumstances faced by the COVID-19 pandemic and the immediate need to address the economic inequity in our communities, SuitUp is seeking a Virtual Ad Hoc Competition Host to facilitate virtual business competitions with our students and corporate volunteers across the country. This individual will be on call and tasked with executing competitions with corporate partners and school partners on an as needed basis throughout the year. Typically events hosted are 1-3 hours in duration.
Ad Hoc Competition Hosts are dynamic, organized, result-oriented, driven individuals that love “playing to a crowd” and can inspire both SuitUp volunteers and students to have amazing experiences with SuitUp’s entrepreneurship competitions.
This role would report directly to SuitUp’s Program Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Program Team to understand all of the pre-planning that has taken place including key stakeholders and event context
- Leading and facilitating competitions in virtual settings with both students and corporate volunteers (60-100 people events)
- Collecting survey data from each event and to SuitUp full-time team
- Providing a quality experience for school and corporate partners to ensure repeated long term engagement
- Identifying key volunteers within events that can help support SuitUp growth and expansion
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to lift or move up to 30 pounds (SuitUp competition materials)
Knowledge and Capabilities
- Strong comfortability with virtual education platforms (i.e. Zoom, Salesforce, Bevy, Google Suite, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with corporate volunteers (ages 21 to 65) and middle/high school students (ages 12 to 18) in a client-facing role
- Excellent public speaking, communication and presentation skills
- Coaches, motivates, and inspires individuals (young and old)
- Self-starter with the ability to take initiative and run with projects independently, working with discretion and under pressure as needed
- Aligned to SuitUp company values – Passion, Perseverance, Integrity, and Innovation
- Organized, energetic and positive with natural leadership qualities
- A passion for education and increasing career awareness for students in underserved communities
- Demonstrates an inspirational attitude that contributes to a positive team environment—even virtually!
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships along with a willingness to set and maintain high standards of performance in a virtual work environment
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in a fast-paced start-up culture
- Excellent skills in operating computers and various software packages including Google Suite
- Comply with SuitUp’s COVID-19 Policy (where applicable)
- At least two years of college education completed
- Experience in the fields of education, youth development, social work, sales, event planning or business administration. This is a perfect role for a former teacher or youth development professional.
- Minimum 2-3+ years of work experience with schools/youth.
- Learn how to align the incentives of the corporate world and the world of urban education to drive academic and social/emotional impact for students
- Opportunity to facilitate large scale events with professional development opportunities in public speaking
- Network with our diverse client base, which includes thousands of volunteers from some of the largest companies in the world such as Snap Inc, Forbes, ViacomCBS, NBCUniversal, Goldman Sachs, and more
- Join a talented team of driven professionals in a fast-paced start-up environment that increase career awareness and marketable skills for thousands of students in underserved communities
- Flexible work schedule (around competitions), ability to work remotely as needed
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume to Erica Davis, email@example.com and include a short paragraph to answer the following questions:
1) Why are you interested in the Ad Hoc Competition Host position and the organization as a whole?
2) What skills would you bring to this position, specifically as it relates to running in-person and virtual events?
3) Are you comfortable working in a virtual setting with a start-up organization with teammates in different states? Why?