Data Analysis Intern, SciLine
Work With Us
We have an exciting opportunity for a fully remote Data Analysis Intern to join SciLine. SciLine is a program of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) that connects journalists with the scientific information and expertise they need for news stories for free. We work with scientists from academic and research institutions across the country, providing opportunities to speak one-on-one with reporters on deadline, as well as to reach groups of reporters through media briefings and video interview opportunities. The successful candidate for this position will take a leading role in analyzing survey responses from experts and journalists about their experiences using SciLine services to better understand our outcomes and impact. Activities will include: identifying relevant lines of questioning about outcomes from SciLine’s services; managing and extracting raw data from SciLine’s internal database; organizing data in Microsoft Excel; processing and/or visualizing quantitative data; formulating strategies to analyze qualitative data; and reporting progress clearly to SciLine staff and leadership. SciLine is seeking candidates with a keen interest in using analytical techniques to understand the user experiences of SciLine’s primary audiences: journalists and scientists. Ideal candidates will also be enthusiastic about SciLine’s mission to bridge the science and journalism sectors to ensure the public has access to easy-to-understand scientific evidence that is relevant to their lives.
This is a paid summer internship and will last 12-weeks.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with SciLine staff to identify feasible questions to investigate using existing survey data;
- (Learn how to) access, organize, and extract raw data from SciLine’s internal database;
- Organize, sort, and process raw quantitative data for analysis in Microsoft Excel;
- Work with SciLine staff to develop methods for analyzing qualitative survey data, potentially including thematic categorization of narrative responses;
- Identify areas for improvement in survey design;
- Participate in AAAS-wide professional development activities for interns, as desired; and
- Additional duties as time allows.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (or transitioning between the two) at a university/college. Science, math, or statistics majors with a demonstrated interest in data analysis preferred, but journalism or communications majors with strong data analysis skills will be given serious consideration.
- Detail-oriented and organized, with strong project-management skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a nimble team.
- Experience conducting and/or analyzing survey research, a plus.
- Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest by April 3, 2023. Applications will not be reviewed or considered without a cover letter.
- If you are unable to upload a cover letter with your application, or if your documents are too large or you have multiple files, e-mail them directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “SciLine Data Analysis Intern – Application Materials: [Applicant Name]”.
- A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
The SciLine team operates remotely, but SciLine also has available space in AAAS’s Washington, DC, headquarters for staff members who prefer to work in an office environment. We are able to hire remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to relocate to a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at email@example.com with any questions regarding your eligibility.
This is a 12-week internship, which will run from June 5, 2023 – August 25, 2023. The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is $17.50 per hour. AAAS interns are eligible for SmarTrip transit benefits.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.