Deputy Director of Finance & Operations
Deputy Director of Finance & Operations
About Bronx Children’s Museum (BxCM): Founded in 2005, Bronx Children’s Museum is a new kind of multicultural, Bronx-inspired children’s museum operating “with and without walls” geared to those from infancy through nine years old. Bronx Children’s Museum nurtures children to find their voice, fulfill their potential and connect to their communities, the Bronx and the world beyond. Since 2010, the Museum has engaged more than 150,000 children and families in science and arts-based programming at 774 different community events and 103 educational institutions including schools, afterschool programs, community-based organizations, shelters, libraries, local festivals and parks. In December 2022, Bronx Children’s Museum opened its brand new 13,000 sq. ft. facility in the South Bronx in an historic NY City-owned former powerhouse building along the Harlem River just steps from Yankee Stadium and Bronx Terminal Market. The facility features site-specific art installations by 14 Bronx-connected artists and interactive exhibits where families can play, learn and connect to the Bronx. It is the first-ever children’s museum facility in the Bronx. Through ongoing outreach programing and in-building visits, the Museum anticipates engaging nearly 36,000 children and families in 2023.
About the Job: The Deputy Director of Finance and Operations (DDFO) reports to the Executive Director. This role collaborates and supports
the Museum’s Executive Director, Board of Directors, and all other senior staff to carry out Bronx Children’s Museum’s mission and vision and refine/implement its business plan.
Benefits offered for the Deputy Director of Finance & Operations position at BxCM:
- Competitive salary of $100,000 to $115,000 annually
- Full time position
- Eligible to participate in Health Insurance (Medical/Dental/Vision)
- Generous Paid Time Off Policy
- Company Paid Holidays
- 403(b) Retirement Savings plan with Employer Matching after a year of employment
Position Description & Requirements:
The DDFO provides the leadership and management necessary to ensure that the organization has the operational and financial excellence and integrity in the following seven areas:
- Finance & Administration
- Human Resources
- Legal and Governance
- Capital Project Improvements
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Finance & Administration:
- Manages Office Manager & Finance Assistant and supervises outsourced accounting/bookkeeping services
- Works with the Executive Director, Director of Development and the Board’s Finance Committee to develop strategies and policies for maintaining the highest level of financial and sustainable performance
- In collaboration with internal stakeholders, develops organizational and project-specific budgets in order to ensure accountability and long-term financial sustainability
- Manages and integrates all financial efforts with respect to forecasting, budgeting and cash flow while ensuring ongoing managed growth.
- Ensures the bookkeeping and annual audit process runs smoothly, responsively and efficiently;
- Creates cost control and reporting systems, identifies and implements areas of potential cost reduction and income generation, and helps oversee program operations
- Is an essential staff liaison with the Board’s Finance and Audit Committees
- Oversees office operations including office space oversight and allocation.
- Manages Director of Human Resources
- Ensures that human resources policies and processes are effective, in compliance with current labor laws and regulations
- Helps to ensure optimal benefits, equitable compensation rates, and staff retention
- Monitors resources and workforce allocation to ensure departments are appropriately managed and staffed
- Participates in human resources decisions regarding key hires, salaries and terminations
- Troubleshoots and strategizes to address departmental and organizational challenges
- Promotes communication and transparency to foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- Supervises IT consultants
- With IT consultants, ensures maintenance, troubleshooting, system security, user experience, and email and phone systems with a focus on integration of financial, development and collections management systems
- Recommends, procures, implements and creates efficient integrated technology systems to remain on the forefront of best practices
- Manages Senior Manager of Operations who supervises Operations Assistant, facilities maintenance and security staff (4 employees)
- Develops and shapes policies and procedures resulting in sustained operational success;
- Oversees the management of BxCM’s site, facilities and property to support ongoing goals that continually evolve to most effectively serve the changing needs of our constituency, programs, and exhibits
- Assures the highest level of safety and least intrusive security measures
- Ensures smooth coordination with all City agencies (e.g. NYC Parks and Recreation and Department of Design & Construction)
Legal and Governance:
- Anticipates legal issues; advises the organization on and protects the organization from legal risks; and coordinates legal activities with outside counsel as needed.
- Develops and reviews agreements, contracts and other legal documents related to BxCM’s overall operations
- Monitors BxCM’s ethics and compliance requirements both legally and in terms of best practices
- Ensures compliance with NYC Parks license and all applicable legal, regulatory, donation and contract requirements affecting business and operations
Capital Project Improvements:
- Manages the relationships between all project-related consultants working on the signage/wayfinding capital project
- Oversees the procurement and outfitting of the Museum’s new electric bus
We hope you have:
- Years of Service/Experience: Minimum of 10 years of experience in senior management/operations roles in a growing or changing museum or cultural environment and/or non-profit organization.
- Strategic Ability: Develop, manage and execute strategic and business plans.
- Leadership Ability: Act as a respected and trusted member of a senior management team, lead with integrity and mutual respect, motivate, and inspire trust and confidence with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds and levels of experience.
- Decision Making: Ability to perform with a high level of discretion and integrity; exceptional analytical skills, creative problem solving, and ability to make and implement decisions quickly and soundly to include legal, operational and administrative concerns.
- Stakeholder Management: Excellent relationship-building skills with both internal and external stakeholders; knowledge and experience with Board of Directors governance and related documents.
- Communications: Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Values & Culture Fit: Demonstrated passion and commitment to children and families of the Bronx.
- Work Environment & Logistics: Ability to travel to Bronx and surrounding NYC boughs for meetings and special events; flexibility to oversee programs, vendors and IT-related issues as needed during weekends, holidays, and evenings as needed.
We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone will meet 100% of the qualifications for each role. If much of a job description applies to you, then please apply for the role.
Bronx Children's Museum is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates, especially members of all underrepresented groups, to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
Apply on BxCM Website at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/1569377/Bronx-Childrens-Museum/Deputy-Director-of-Finance-Operations or send a resume and short cover letter expressing your interest in the position to Careers@bronxchildrensmuseum.org.
Alternate forms of the above items will be considered, including video resumes, visual cover letters, or other ways of expressing your qualifications and interest.
If you require specific accommodations to complete your application, please contact the Human Resource Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.