Production & Stage Management Apprentice
Trinity Repertory Company’s apprenticeship program offers intensive professional training at a Tony Award-winning regional theater. Apprentices are an integral part of our theater company and serve alongside our staff in artistic, administrative, and production-based departments. The apprentice program is looking for artists and professionals ages 21 and up who are hoping to launch careers in theater. Apprentices will learn on the job for approximately 35 weeks.
To be considered for an apprenticeship, you must complete the online application in Paylocity. You will be prompted to upload the following documents:
- Professional Resume
- Cover Letter
Applications without these attachments will not be considered. Depending on the department, references, portfolios, or writing samples may be requested.
Details and Benefits:
- Housing accommodations
- Furnished housing with utilities provided (heat, electricity, water & Wi-Fi)
- Parking (at the house and theater)
- After deducting housing and taxes, at least $250/week* in pay
*Exact amount depends on W4 Tax Withholding Form
- Complimentary tickets to all productions
- Invitation to opening night performances and reception
- Monthly professional development and seminar series
- Eligible for Trinity Rep health insurance – employee contribution is $15/week
- Staff discount on Trinity Rep concessions and merchandise
- Opportunity to take free acting classes
- Strong community of staff and former interns/apprentices
Apprentices will not be able to work in other positions at the theater during their contracted 35 weeks, but overtime may be required on occasion and will be compensated at time + a half. Depending on their schedule, apprentices may be able to take additional work outside the theater as long as it does not interfere with their hours at Trinity Rep.
The Production/Stage Management Apprentice is a vital member of the theater’s production office, and works directly with various stage manager teams throughout the season. This apprenticeship requires a person who possesses strong organizational skills, is not afraid to take initiative while still being a team player, is hungry to learn, and has a great sense of humor. Recent college graduates or people with equivalent experience in stage management are preferred. In this role, the apprentice will:
- Assist with pre-production tasks such as script copying, supply organizing, room setup, and taping out floors
- Assist the stage management team with daily paperwork, prop, and costume tracking
- Work alongside and learn from Actors’ Equity Association (AEA) Stage Managers from across the country
- Serve as part of the running crew for at least one Trinity Rep production
- Attend show rehearsals
- Work in the production office, assisting the Producing Director and Assistant Director of Production in maintaining shared calendars, tracking production expenses, filing, and taking notes during meetings
- Other duties as assigned
The main objective of this program is for the apprentice to become familiar with the day-to-day operations of productions. In this way, they will gain the skills needed to work as a production assistant, non-AEA stage manager, or part of the production management team in other theaters.