Scenic and Props Apprentice
Trinity Repertory Company’s apprenticeship program offers intensive professional training at a Tony Award-winning regional theater. Apprentices are an integral part of our theater company and serve alongside our staff in artistic, administrative, and production-based departments. The apprentice program is looking for artists and professionals ages 21 and up who are hoping to launch careers in theater. Apprentices will learn on the job for approximately 35 weeks.
To be considered for an apprenticeship, you must complete the online application in Paylocity. You will be prompted to upload the following documents:
- Professional Resume
- Cover Letter
Applications without these attachments will not be considered. Depending on the department, references, portfolios, or writing samples may be requested.
Details and Benefits:
- Housing accommodations
- Furnished housing with utilities provided (heat, electricity, water & Wi-Fi)
- Parking (at the house and theater)
- After deducting housing and taxes, at least $250/week* in pay
*Exact amount depends on W4 Tax Withholding Form
- Complimentary tickets to all productions
- Invitation to opening night performances and reception
- Monthly professional development and seminar series
- Eligible for Trinity Rep health insurance – employee contribution is $15/week
- Staff discount on Trinity Rep concessions and merchandise
- Opportunity to take free acting classes
- Strong community of staff and former interns/apprentices
Apprentices will not be able to work in other positions at the theater during their contracted 35 weeks, but overtime may be required on occasion and will be compensated at time + a half. Depending on their schedule, apprentices may be able to take additional work outside the theater as long as it does not interfere with their hours at Trinity Rep.
The Scenic/Prop Apprentice works as part of the scene and prop shop. The ideal candidate will be eager to learn, willing to help, and a team player. They must be able to work at high heights, on extension and A-frame ladders, and able to lift 25lbs. The Scenic/Props Apprentice will:
- Cut and assemble wood structures for the stage
- Fabricate doors and windows
- Attach decorative scenic elements
- Repair and refinish furniture
- Craft and design hand and paper props.
- Assist with technical rehearsals and other events
- Other duties as assigned
- The main objective of this program is to teach apprentices through hands-on experience in a safe, fast-paced working environment. The apprentice will learn professional standards and work with the shop managers and technical director to create beautiful and safe scenery and properties. Opportunities to learn other skills such as welding, furniture construction, and rigging may be available when the schedule allows.