Bilingual Administrative Assistant
About the organization: Compass Family Services is a 100+ year old nonprofit working on the front lines of San Francisco’s homeless crisis. We provide families experiencing or at risk of homelessness with comprehensive support to address immediate needs and ensure long-term success.
About the team: The Central City Access Point is a direct entry point for any San Francisco family experiencing homelessness. We provide families with housing problem-solving support, and with connection to homelessness prevention, shelter and housing programs through San Francisco’s Coordinated Entry System.
Compensation: $22 - $25 per hour
Schedule: Full time, Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5pm.
Location: 37 Grove Street, San Francisco. This is a fully in-person role.
Organizational Core Competencies: Accountable I Adaptable I Client-centered I Collaborative I Committed to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging I Resourceful
What the Administrative Assistant will do:
The Administrative Assistant helps manage the phone line, connects households to the appropriate program and does clerical work for the Access Point. They also provide crisis counseling on the hotline and in person, including assessing families’ immediate needs and linking families with appropriate resources in the community.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Answer phone lines, triage and transfer calls, check-in clients and take messages during regular business hours.
- Refer clients who do not meet eligibility requirements to appropriate agencies or resources.
- Retrieve messages from voicemail and reply or distribute to staff.
- Assist families in signing up for in-person appointments and register appointments in the database.
- Record all intakes, drop-in services and other relevant client interventions in the computer databases.
The Administrative Assistant should have these skills:
- Fluent Spanish required.
- One year of receptionist or similar customer service experience.
- Ability to interact with families and children in a positive, friendly manner.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills.
- Outstanding work habits: punctual, reliable, cooperative, team-oriented.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and professional telephone protocol.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging work.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary range: $22 - $25 per hour based on experience, languages spoken and education.
- Paid time off: 19 days of vacation in first year; 24 in second. Also paid holidays, sick time, family leave, and time off for education.
- Insurance: health, dental and vision insurance are fully covered by Compass for employees and dependent children.
- Retirement: after one year of work, Compass contributes an amount equal to 5% of your salary into a retirement account; this vests over years 2-5.
Location and Covid safety:
- Work location: The Administrative Assistant will at our main office at 37 Grove St., less than one block from Civic Center BART/Muni.
- Covid vaccination required for all staff.
- Covid precautions in the workplace: required masking, air filtration, sanitizing.
Please apply through our online application. No phone calls, please.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek to recruit a diverse workforce. Employees must embrace the idea that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging contribute to the success of our underserved communities, and therefore to shared prosperity in our city and region. Compass Family Services is committed to the continuous work of implementing specific actions that will disrupt systemic prejudice and improve equity across programs and departments, to become an example to partners who also believe in a culture of inclusion that leverages diversity.