Administrative Assistant, Health Issues
Job Title: Administrative Assistant/Grade 7
Posting Number: OPU-67-34-0522
Department: AFT Health Issues
Annual Salary: $ 59,166.98
The American Federation of Teachers is a union of professionals that champions fairness; democracy; economic opportunity; and high-quality public education, healthcare and public services for our students, their families and our communities. We are committed to advancing these principles through community engagement, organizing, collective bargaining and political activism, and especially through the work our members do. The AFT believes that a culturally diverse workforce advances our mission and we strongly encourage applications from under-represented communities of workers.
This employee provides administrative support for the senior director in the AFT Health Issues Department.
Under the supervision of the senior director of AFT Health Issues, the administrative assistants primary responsibilities include administrative tasks and clerical, travel, and logistical support to the department.
- Maintain Listservs (general, Program and Policy Council, leadership council, local presidents, organizing, collective bargaining and state health) by compiling names and contact information, and update as necessary.
- Write brief summaries on relevant topics to prepare for speeches and reports.
- Create forms, maintain data and track logistics for department projects.
- Handle logistics and administrative duties related to constituency/department meetings and leadership conferences.
- Supports the department with budget and contract approval process.
- Maintain department files and records.
- Maintain literature and publications inventory.
- Answer, screen, and direct telephone calls; respond to information requests.
- Make travel arrangements and scheduling support.
- Prepare and handle mailings.
- Prepare and/or edit correspondence.
- Fax, file and photocopy.
- Participate in supportive role assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Primary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Office experience including meeting coordination is required.
- Employee must possess the ability to multi-task, be well organized and able to work. independently to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written, proofreading, and verbal skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain professional manner.
- Occasional overtime is required.
- Occasional travel is required.
Secondary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of office equipment including photocopier and fax machine.
- Knowledge of AFT software (willing to train.)
- Union or organizing knowledge is a plus.
AFT is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The AFT is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
AFT requires that all staff be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
AFT requires that all staff take a self-administered AFT provided rapid-antigen test weekly.
Work is generally performed in an office environment; however, some travel and occasional overtime is required.