Senior Research Associate - Oral Biologics
About the Department
As part of the establishment of our R&D Hub in greater Boston, Novo Nordisk is growing its efforts within advanced drug delivery. A cornerstone of this is an expansion of our efforts in advancing oral biologics-based treatments to address unmet needs within a broad range of serious chronic diseases. Building on our success in developing the world’s first GLP-1 peptide in a tablet, we are rapidly growing our activities in our relentless pursuit of the next generation of oral-based therapies across a range of new modalities.
You will join and help build a vibrant and science-focused team of scientists, where innovation is at the core. One of the core focuses of the hub is to drive early-stage innovation within oral drug delivery sciences with a focus on new modalities such as peptides, proteins and oligonucleotides. In growing our presence in the greater Boston area via our R&D Hub, we seek to bring together the 100-year heritage and experience of Novo Nordisk with the unparalleled innovation eco-system found in Boston.
We will be based in new, purpose-built lab facilities in Lexington and co-located with our Dicerna Transformational Research Unit (TRU). As part of a team of leading scientists and innovators, you will bring your own ideas and collaborate with others to develop the next generation of oral biologics. It’s ground-breaking work with the promise of improving the lives of millions of people with chronic conditions. If you want to make a difference, join us to do pioneering research that can impact people everywhere.
The Senior Research Associate will provide technical support in the identification and development of novel advanced drug delivery systems to achieve oral administration of biologics including peptides and proteins. This will be achieved by executing research experiments, ensuring data integrity, and communicating results.
Internal relationships include project teams and research colleagues both in Denmark, Boston, and around the globe. It is crucial that the holder of the role will have daily proactive collaboration with colleagues in the team, together with close colleagues based in Denmark. Communicates data externally when required. Individual Contributor: does not manage other employees or contingent workers.
- Advances research projects by applying broad knowledge of oral drug delivery.
- Under general guidance and supervision, analyzes data with moderate degree of sophistication, draws conclusions from experiments, and provides input on future directions. Contributes to study protocols and drafts reports.
- Effectively communicates experimental results to supervisor and to teams within same functional area.
- Formulates peptides, proteins, oligonuceltides etc., into dosage forms for oral administration.
- Characterize the solid state properties of proteins, peptides, oligonucleotides and their formulations using relevant techniques (e.g., FTIR, DSC, Raman etc.,).
- Conduct analytical work to determine drug content in formulations using UHPLC
- Analyze and interpret data independently; organize and present data in a clear manner.
- Contribute to the team’s knowledge through updating scientific literature and discussions.
- Maintain and troubleshoot lab instruments such as HPLC, spray-dryer, tabletting equipment, solid state characterisation equipment.
- Management of chemical, lab supply, and solvent inventories
- Bachelor 's Degree required. Degree within pharmaceutical sciences preferred.
- 4+ years’ relevant technical experience required or Master’s Degree within pharmaceutical sciences can be considered.
- Relevant required experience includes:
- Experience in formulating solid dosge forms e.g., tablets, capsules
- Hands-on knowledge of UHPLC
- Knowledge and experience of some solid state characterisation techniques
- Preferred experience includes:
- Experience with working with peptides, proteins or oligonucleotides
- Knowledge within the area of laboratory automation
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
Novo Nordisk requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.