Scientist – Nucleic Acid Analytical Development
We are delighted that we recently signed a contract to expand our space at Cambridge Park Drive (CPD Cambridge, MA) significantly. The expansion of the CPD facility is focused primarily on lab space and will bring together talent and expertise, especially to focus on cutting edge technologies. The lease for Rockville Vaccines site, where this role is currently being recruited, will expire by Q2 2026 and we have decided not to renew the lease. Consequently, this lab-based role may be relocated to Boston, Massachusetts in 2025.
//Field based worker, expected to be on-site//
The Nucleic Acid Vaccines Center of Excellence (NAV CoE), a team within the GSK Vaccine’s Technical Research and Development organization, has as a mission to develop the next generation mRNA vaccine platforms for rapid development of new vaccine candidates.
The NAV CoE is looking for a motivated scientist for in-process analytics of mRNA-based vaccines to support development of new Drug Substance processes for clinical & commercial manufacturing of mRNA. Located in Rockville, MD, the position will play a significant role in shaping current and next generation GSK’s leading mRNA vaccine platforms to accelerate addressing unmet medical needs, an exciting field having a direct impact into patients and global health. This role provides the opportunity to integrate a diverse group of top talented experts in vaccines’ industry, lead key activities and further grow and progress in your career.
Main core responsibilities
- Apply deep knowledge in nucleic acid research to design, develop, and implement in-process analytical methods (content, process- and product-related impurities) to support development of new mRNA Drug Substance processes for clinical & commercial manufacturing of mRNA.
- Liaise with transversal analytical global teams and contribute to building next generation mRNA platform workflows and integration within the later-stage global platform
- Stay up to date with best practices and advancements in the mRNA technology on analytical methodologies and latest quality and regulatory guidance to support project documentation and accelerated CMC submissions.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, or a related scientific field.
- Three or more years of experience
- Two or more years of experience in alytical characterization methods including fluorescent-based assays, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, hybridization technique, electrophoresis-based techniques, HPLC/UPLC etc.
- PhD degree
- Experience with Quality by Design with demonstrated capability to develop fit-for-purpose high throughput in process analytics to support process development for biologics.
- Knowledge on mRNA structure and function relation
- Firsthand experience with advanced NGS.
- Broad understanding of analytical development activities required for CMC support.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves – feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get Ahead Together.