Remote - American Documentary Summer Internships
American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) is a Brooklyn-based nonprofit arts organization and producer of the award-winning PBS documentary series POV (“point of view”) and America ReFramed. For 32 years, AmDoc has produced and presented over 500 of the most significant documentary films of our time, engaging public television audiences with perspectives that reflect the diversity of American society and putting a human face on critical issues. Our films have won every major film and broadcasting award, including 37 Emmys, 20 George Foster Peabody Awards, 12 Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Broadcast Journalism Awards, three Academy Awards®, the first-ever George Polk Documentary Film Award and the Prix Italia.
Interns will gain training and mentorship through our hands-on educational program, designed to provide a "behind-the-scenes" look at public media and the documentary field. We are committed to working with individual interns to meet their unique learning objectives by focusing on project/s throughout the duration of their internship.
NOTE: We are not a production company. This is a REMOTE internship opportunity.
These are the various departments of American Documentary|POV where internships are available:
Engagement, Communications, Series (POV, America ReFramed) and Development (dependent upon season).
- Interns will gain first-hand experience with non-fiction public media programming based on their career goals, including in department-specific placements alongside staff in Programming & Production, Marketing & Communications, Development/External Affairs or Community Engagement
- Interns will gain real world exposure to independent documentary cinema through screening, research, and writing projects
- Interns will network and establish professional contacts by attending virtual industry events with a wide range of stakeholders, such as filmmakers, funders and community partners
- Developing and working on a project/s with Supervisor that meets their learning and skill building objectives
- Participate in Monthly Professional Development Workshops/Sessions
- Attend department and larger staff meetings
- Commit to the full length of the internship program (16 weeks)
- Provide feedback during and at the end of their internship about their experience as an American Documentary intern