Member Service Representative (Call Center)
As a condition of employment, successful applicants will be required to have received COVID-19 vaccination or an approved exemption as of their start date. Details relating to demonstrating compliance with this requirement will be provided to applicants selected for employment. Applicants who receive an offer of employment who can provide documentation that the vaccine is medically contraindicated or who object to vaccination due to a sincerely held religious belief may make a request for exemption.
About the Office of the Massachusetts State Treasurer and Receiver General (“Treasury”)
Our mission is to manage and safeguard the State's public deposits and investments through sound business practices for the exclusive benefits of our citizens, and perform these duties with integrity, excellence, and leadership. Additionally, we strive to provide economic opportunity, stability, and security for every Massachusetts resident.
We are committed to excellence in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse and qualified individuals. We value the culture of diversity and professionalism in the workplace, and strongly believe that our workforce should reflect our community.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Massachusetts State Retirement MSRB (MSRB) is a diverse and multi-generational division within the Office of the State Treasurer. The MSRB administers a defined benefit retirement plan for eligible employees of the Commonwealth and certain independent entities and supports more than 86,000 active and 68,000 retirees.
Through the MSRB Call Center a Member Services Representative I serves as initial contact and liaison with members of the State Employees’ Retirement System (“MSERS”), the general public, and outside agencies for purposes of providing initial customer service, plan information, and benefit support. Through exposure to plan rules and benefits a Member Service Representative may develop expertise and skill to assume more advanced functions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fully address, or properly direct all telephone, electronic, mailed, or in-person inquiries from MSERS members and related individuals to proper personnel
- Competently function as part of MSRB Call Center
- Properly greet members, in-person as may be necessary, from within enclosed Call Center, and assist those visiting MSRB offices for counseling services
- Maintain working knowledge of each department within MSRB
- Develop ability to understand and explain to members the procedures of each department related to applicable transactions
- Provide support and assistance to the various departments within the MSRB
- When appropriate, direct members to related agencies for assistance such as the Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission, the Public Employee Retirement Administration Commission, the United States Social Security Administration, and local public retirement systems
- Develop skills for working knowledge of and utilize current MSRB member and benefit computer software application (“MARIS”)
- Develop proficiency with OnBase ECM (document scanning) System and demonstrate ability to integrate with daily responsibilities
- Provide accurate responses to all incoming mailed, telephoned, and e-mailed inquires as appropriate
- Adhere to and enforce Treasury and MSRB policies.
- Additional duties as may be assigned by the Manager and /or Director
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate and assist in special projects and training as needed.
- Adhere to and support MSRB policies.
- Ability to work in both an office and remote settings
- Correspond and distribute to MSERS members various types of information including, letters for account balances and pension verifications.
- Maintain a high level of customer service at all times.
- Research member requests and provide responses as necessary
- Availability to occasionally work extended hours
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Ability to develop working knowledge of complex retirement plan rules, regulations and state retirement benefits
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are required.
- Experience with providing high-level of customer service while working with high volume of inquiries on a consistent basis
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and problem solve
- Current working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Windows required
- Develop skills to obtain working knowledge of current Retirement MSRB Computer System (“MARIS”)
- Familiarity or prior experience working with electronic document management systems
- Basic Knowledge of multi-line telephone systems, and virtual meeting software