Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications
The Webb Schools, a boarding/day high school of 400 students located in Claremont CA, seeks a dynamic, experienced marketing professional for a Senior Administrative Position in marketing and strategic communications. The Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications is responsible for planning, developing, and managing the marketing and communication strategies for The Webb Schools including the Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology, a unique earth science institutional and community resource in the middle of the campus.
MISSION AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND BELONGING
The Webb Schools are committed to fostering an inclusive school community characterized by openness, acceptance and empathy, where all members are valued, respected and supported. Our community is strengthened by the diverse views, beliefs, backgrounds and experiences of our students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Embracing diversity in all its many forms is essential to our mission: in particular, our call to provide an exemplary learning community that nurtures future leaders who will act with honor and moral courage and serve with a generous spirit. For more on our values and commitment to DEI initiatives, click here.
As the leader of the school’s communication and branding efforts, this position will focus on admission and development marketing as well as working with the Senior Team, Head of Schools and Board of Trustees to develop comprehensive and strategic communication plans for the institution.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Bring innovative ideas to the school regarding marketing, communications, and branding.
- Facilitate and lead branding and marketing rollout in relation to the development of a new school model and singular school name. Manage style/branding guide for entire school community.
- Develop a strategy to keep the school community and its supporters informed, continually engaged, and invested.
- Identify and build relationships with new and existing media partners.
- Develop and manage mission-centered content for print publications, website, social media, video productions, campus and off-site events, presentations at educational conferences, and placements in outside media (print, radio, television, social media).
- Develop and manage in conjunction with the admission and financial aid office, specific marketing and communications materials that lead to increased interest and enrollment of targeted constituencies in the region, nation and across the globe.
- Develop and manage in conjunction with the advancement office, specific marketing and communication plans related to fundraising, alumni relations and parent relations.
- Develop and facilitate internal and external strategy and communications emanating from the Office of the Head of Schools.
- Develop, plan, and manage activities and materials promoting The Centennial.
- Manage and maintain website content.
- Develop a comprehensive annual communication plan and manage an institution-wide marketing and communications calendar.
- Develop and manage specific media campaigns related to Summer Programs.
- Develop and manage specific media campaigns related to the Alf Museum.
- Plan and promote the appearance of key senior staff in media and at events and assist in speech writing and presentation preparation.
- Provide leadership and supervision to marketing and communication staff and the vendors/freelance team.
- Provide leadership to the Senior Team and Board of Trustees on crisis communication strategies as needed.
- Regular regional, national, and international travel required.
- Regular event leadership and attendance required.
PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES OF WEBB FACULTY & STAFF
· Contributes to the delivery of the mission, vision, and values of the school community.
· Demonstrates inclusive and equitable practices to ensure that all members of the community feel a sense of belonging.
· Follows community policies and procedures and models positive behavior.
· Works effectively as a team member and develops professional and productive relationships with colleagues.
· Understands boundaries and embraces responsibility for the care of students in loco parentis.
· Promotes a trust-based community by keeping appropriate confidences.
· Manages time effectively and meets deadlines and commitments.
· Communicates and responds to all school communications in a timely manner.
· Exhibits flexibility and adaptability to change as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Five or more years of extensive experience in marketing and/or communications, with a track record of bringing innovative and new ideas to enhance an institution’s stature and reputation. Preferably for a school, college or university, or commercial organization.
- Fluency in the realm of public relations and media relations.
- Ability to build and implement a high-performing marketing and communications plan.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills including high-level project management experience.
- Ability to build and motivate high-performing teams to accomplish goals.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
A valid California driver license with a satisfactory driving record is required. A criminal background check must be successfully completed before employment can begin.
The physical requirements of this position are those needed to successfully fulfill the job duties and responsibilities articulated above. As prescribed by law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Anticipated salary range: $ 115-150K
- The Webb Schools offers competitive compensation. In setting position ranges, Webb reviews numerous factors including industry data from NAIS, CAIS and NBOA and other market data.
- Webb believes a strong benefits package is important for employee stability and retention. Benefits include highly subsidized health plans, robust retirement contributions and tuition remission.
- Webb allocates substantial resources to growth and professional development, including funding for advanced degrees, curriculum development, industry conferences and workshops, and other academic and pedagogical pursuits.
This position is for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and résumé to:
Theresa Smith, Associate Head of Schools & Head Elect email@example.com
This position is “at-will”. This means that both Webb and the hired employee have the right to terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without advance notice, and with or without cause. There is no employment contract, actual or implied.
The Webb Schools are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities and do not discriminate based on perceived or actual race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (or any related conditions), age, marital status, military or veteran status, medical condition, gender/identity/expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. www.webb.org.