Press Officer/Speech Writer
A New York City Council Member is seeking a dynamic Press Officer/Speech Writer to develop and manage the Office’s communications strategy and operations. We’re looking for a candidate with strong written and verbal communication skills, the capacity to engage strategically with the press, elected officials, stakeholders, and community members, and a keen understanding the city’s media landscape and political climate.
SALARY RANGE: $50,000 - $60,000
- Handle press inquiries and engage with the press
- Write speeches, op-eds, talking points, letters to the editor and other public communications as needed
- Develop social media and web content, including copy, graphics, video, and other media.
- Organize, publicize, and staff the Council Member at press conferences and public-facing events
- Monitor news and social media and identify emerging issues of relevance for the office
- Develop and maintain relationships with reporters across publications, mediums, and issue areas
- Perform other office duties as needed
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with an attention to detail and the ability to synthesize complex information for general audiences.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, often under short and shifting deadlines and in high-pressure situations.
- Interest in and knowledge of city issues, including and especially those relevant to Council District 31 and its neighborhoods
- Capacity to engage and manage relationships with local media
- Highly organized and carefully attentive to detail
- Fluency in both traditional and digital media
- Experience simultaneously managing multiple projects and competing priorities in an effective way.
- Ability to effectively work with a team and independently, and capable of interacting with a broad range of individuals
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.