SENIOR TRANSPORTATION PLANNER
The City of Worcester seeks qualified applicants for the Senior Transportation Planner for the Department of Transportation and Mobility. Under the direction of the Transportation Planning Manager, this position will provide professional technical, and administrative services related to the planning and implementation of transportation infrastructure and services for the City of Worcester. The Senior Transportation Planner performs planning, GIS, analytical, and administrative work in the office and occasionally the field in supporting the daily operation of the Department. The duties include maintaining geographic data sets, conducting data analysis, designing digital maps with geographic data and various other data sets using ArcGIS and associated software in support of transportation planning and engineering work programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Familiarity with the planning, design and operation of complete streets and facilities servicing all urban transportation modes, including walking, bicycling, other micro-mobility modes, transit, and motor vehicles
· Experience contributing to plans, studies, and technical reports
· Proficiency with personal computers and experience using Microsoft Office Suite
· Proficiency in Esri GIS software products, such as ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Online
· Familiarity with website development and maintenance and/or various proprietary GIS software products desirable
· Familiarity with AutoCAD, SketchUp, Remix or other street design software desirable
· Familiarity with Streetlight InSight, Synchro or other applicable transportation data platforms and analytical software desirable
· Ability to exercise judgment and creativity in making decisions
· Ability to work with a high level of detail and prioritize multiple tasks
· Ability to interface and communicate effectively and professionally with the public, coworkers, Division Managers, etc.
· Ability to maintain accurate records
· Ability to Exercise judgment and creativity in making decisions
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography/Cartography, GIS, Urban Planning/Studies, Computer Science, Civil/Transportation Engineering, or related discipline.
- Two (2) years of relevant professional experience involving transportation planning, GIS analysis, and/or transportation analytics; OR,
o An equivalent combination of education & experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the required duties of the position will be considered in lieu of the above -mentioned requirements.
· Demonstrated experience preparing maps and data analysis using GIS.
- Master’s degree in Geography/Cartography, GIS, Urban Planning/Studies, Computer Science, Civil/Transportation Engineering, or related discipline.
- Four (4) years of relevant professional experience involving transportation planning, GIS analysis, and/or transportation analytics.
- Demonstrated experience in transportation planning.
SALARY RANGE: $68,500 - $89,517 annually, full-time, excellent benefits package
To apply, please visit: www.worcesterma.gov/employment or send resume and cover letter on or before FRIDAY, MARCH 31, 2023, to: City of Worcester, 455 Main Street, Room 109, Worcester, MA 01608. Preference is given to Worcester residents. The City of Worcester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Direct inquiries to: City Hall, Human Resources, Room 109, 508-799-1030, HR@worcesterma.gov.