Starwood Capital Group 2024 Data Science Summer Analyst
Starwood Capital Group is a private investment firm with a primary focus on global real estate. Since its inception in 1991, the Firm has raised over $70 billion of capital and currently has approximately $115 billion of assets under management. Over the past 30 years, Starwood Capital has invested in over $200 billion of assets, including properties within every major real estate asset class.
Starwood Capital’s Internship Program is 9-weeks long and we select a group of highly motivated summer interns with the goal of identifying talent for our Full-time Analyst Program. Our size and structure provides individuals with a high level of responsibility and the unique opportunity to work directly with senior management, joint venture partners, investment bankers, brokers and commercial lenders in all real estate classes. Summer Interns will participate in a variety of specialized trainings that will refine their skills and assist them in transitioning into the professional working environment of Starwood and the investment industry as a whole. A mentorship driven program allows our Summer Interns to create lasting relationships that will support the continued growth of a successful career.
Starwood Data Science works across Acquisitions and Asset Management to integrate alternative data and predictive analytics into Starwood’s investment processes. We work on individual deals to identify questions at the heart of an investment thesis, develop novel strategies for asset management, and conduct quantitative research into real estate markets.
- Interns will work across Starwood’s business units to integrate data science solutions into Starwood’s investment processes. Data Science works across the Firm’s business lines, and the intern will collaborate with multiple teams throughout the organization. Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with members of Acquisitions, utilize alternative data and statistical analysis to identify actionable, data-driven answers to questions that arise during the investment process
- Work with Asset Management to develop new operational strategies for the Starwood portfolio
- Conduct quantitative research into real estate markets and asset classes, and produce actionable recommendations from this work that Starwood can utilize in our investment strategies
- Contribute production code to Starwood’s analytical repository
- Assist with communication and presentation of findings
- Interest in the application of data science to real estate investment and management
- Experience performing exploratory data analysis on real-world datasets
- Experience translating research into actionable insights using data visualization tools like Matplotlib, Seaborn, or Plotly
- Strong understanding of mathematics and statistics
- Experience using and evaluating machine learning models
- Understanding of the data science lifecycle
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Intellectual curiosity and the ability to conduct independent research on new topics
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
To be considered for the 2024 Summer Internship Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate student
- Anticipated graduation date: Fall 2024 – Spring 2025