Engineer I - II (Region Traffic Engineer)(Job Id 22265)
*** $2,500 Hiring Incentive ***
Current Department of Transportation Employees do NOT qualify for Hiring Incentive
Job ID: 22265
Agency: Department of Transportation / Division of Operations
Salary: $28.40 - $31.48 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: E1 - E2
Closing Date: 04/05/2023
This is a full-time position with the Department of Transportation. For more information about the Department of Transportation, please visit http://dot.sd.gov.
The incumbent will be a member of the Region Traffic Office within the Pierre Region. This position is involved in design layout and assembly of highway construction and maintenance plans, which includes roadway surfacing, pipe culverts, minor grading, guardrail, riprap, and other miscellaneous highway features, along with permanent signing, pavement marking, traffic control, and traffic signal plan section for highway construction plans. Duties include, but are not limited to, participating in project scoping; producing permanent signing, pavement marking, etc. plans for highway construction or maintenance projects; preparing work orders for maintenance crews to complete specific traffic related improvements; reviewing assigned project plans for accuracy and completeness; providing oversight of the completion of various traffic studies and analyses; providing technical assistance support to construction staff; and assisting with contractor questions.
Incumbent must have a valid driver’s license.
A typical 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, can be expected; although, hours may vary depending on workload. Work activity will predominantly be in an office environment with occasions in an outdoor environment. Outdoor work may involve driving and working throughout the Pierre Region in all weather conditions and around traffic.
Join the South Dakota Department of Transportation! View more about this opportunity here: https://youtu.be/4Bwxxkb3oZo.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Only applicants with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related field will be considered. Engineer (E-1): a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field with the desire to learn and design. Engineer (E-2): a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or related field plus 1-3 years of progressive education, training, and experience equivalent to a Level 2 in the Engineering Career Family.
Experience in highway construction or design with knowledge of roadway surface, pipe culvert, construction materials, and guardrail is helpful.
- highway design methods, processes, and sequences (preferred but not required);
- standard terminology, techniques, and practices of drafting and graphic designs;
- engineering and scientific principles, practices, and methods as applicable to highway design.
- effectively use Microsoft Office products;
- read and interpret highway construction plans, right-of-way plats, and regulatory documents;
- provide technical information and interpretation to permitting agencies, consultants, contractors, and other SDDOT staff;
- communicate effectively.
- display high standards of ethical conduct and demonstrate behaviors in line with SDDOT's core values;
- work independently on several concurrent projects and participate in the entire design process;
- attend to all details of assignments and complete work properly, accurately, and thoroughly;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, management, contractors, consultants, and the general public;
- exercise sound judgment when making decisions and takes prompt, decisive action;
- listen attentively to others and effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing;
- work cooperatively with others and promote a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference per ARSD 55:10:02:08.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"