Data Analytica Program Manager
NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
GRANT FUNDED THROUGH 8/31/2024 WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF AN EXTENSION
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Civil Service Title: EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS SPECIALIST
Title Code No.: 06766
Salary: $65,000 - $74,000
Office Title: Data Analytics Program Manager
Division/Work Unit: Strategy, Evaluation, and Analytics Unit / Office of Strategic Operations
Work Location: 165 CADMAN PLAZA EAST BROOKLYN, NY 11201
Hours/Shift: 9 – 5/M – F
Number of Positions: 1
ABOUT NEW YORK CITY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
New York City Emergency Management (NYCEM) helps New Yorkers before, during, and after emergencies through preparedness, education, and response. NYCEM is responsible for coordinating citywide emergency planning and response for all types and scales of emergencies. We are staffed by more than 200 dedicated professionals with diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, including individuals assigned from other City agencies.
NYCEM’s Office of Strategic Operations works on high-priority, interagency initiatives. The Office of Strategic Operations is composed of three units:
(1) Strategy, Evaluation, and Analytics Unit, which conducts qualitative and quantitative analyses to identify and track to completion strategic recommendations that improve the City’s emergency response posture;
(2) Innovation and Strategic Projects Unit, which implements initiatives and programs that enhance the City’s preparedness and response capabilities; and
(3) Continuity of Operations Unit, which ensures the City is able to continuously operate.
The Strategy, Evaluation, and Analytics Unit is responsible for analyzing and evaluating NYCEM’s operations, developing doctrine and policy, and conducting strategic planning to improve the City’s emergency management capability. The Data Analytics Program Manager, in coordination with the Data Visualization Program Manager, will report to the Director of Strategy, Evaluation, and Analytics and be responsible for leading data collection and automation to evaluate operations, establish situational awareness during emergencies, identify trends and potential areas for improvement, and encourage data-driven decision-making. The ideal candidate should have prior experience prioritizing and responding to requests for data and analysis from senior government officials, managing projects from scope development to delivery, and interpreting the results from analysis verbally and in writing in a fast-paced environment.
· Manipulating, analyzing, and visualizing quantitative data from City agencies to make quantitative assessments, predict outcomes and prioritize resources, as needed, during emergencies.
· Managing the development of data reports or templates for a range of natural and man-made hazards and leading internal and external trainings on completing templates.
· Supporting the design, development, and implementation of data visualization tools to improve data sharing and situational awareness within NYCEM and with other City agencies.
· Co-leading, with the Data Visualization Program Manager, the agency’s Emergency Data Team, which is responsible for time-of data collection, analysis, and visualization needs during incidents. This will include identifying training opportunities and piloting exercise opportunities to expand the team’s skillset and onboard new members to the team.
· Coordinating internally with NYCEM Units to identify key performance indicators and a data collection strategy to evaluate programs and projects.
· Coordinating externally with interagency partners during emergency incidents to advise on data collection, metrics identification, and visualization recommendations.
· Managing intra- and interagency meetings and presenting in working groups and conferences, when necessary.
· Building partnership with other emergency management professionals, universities, community-based groups, and private-sector partners.
· Working on special projects and assignments, as needed.
· Subject to field deployment during emergencies, as needed.
The selected candidate will be assigned to periodic Emergency Operations Center team and will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies. The selected candidate will also participate in drills and exercises, assist with Ready NY presentations to external groups, and will undertake special projects as assigned.
1. A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
NOTE: New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Experience with reporting, analytics, and dashboard software and tools such as Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, Looker, the ArcGIS suite, or comparable software suites
- Experience automating and ingesting data with cloud resources (e.g., Google Cloud Products) and coding languages (e.g., Python, SQL, JSON)
- Experience with data cleaning and publishing tools such as Tableau Prep Builder, Tableau Online, or Dataprep
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong organization, project management, and facilitation skills
- Ability to work on and lead multiple projects concurrently
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data reporting, analytics, visualization, and interactivity
- Familiarity with user-centered design
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting ActivitiesàCareers and search Job ID# 576733
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
and search Job ID# 576733
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.