Senior Wildfire Safety Analyst - JC 361081, 361120, 361198 (SF, SAC, & LA Listing)
Join the Public Advocates Office, a leading voice for utility consumers.
The Safety Branch within the Public Advocates Office is seeking a Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst V or IV to join its Wildfire Safety team.
The Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst (PURA) will conduct advanced analytical work within the Public Advocates Office. Under the general direction of the Program and Project Supervisor in the Wildfire Safety Section of the Safety Branch, the PURA will analyze utility safety issues, with a principal focus on preventing wildfires caused by electric utility equipment. The PURA will advocate for efficient and effective programs to avoid harm to the public and reduce the environmental consequences of wildfires. In addition, the PURA may perform a wide variety of analytical assignments related to the safety of utility infrastructure and to general rate case proceedings. The specific duties of this position are as follows:
Economic and policy analysis of utility safety:
- Analyze and critique electric utilities’ Wildfire Mitigation Plans.
- Examine the effectiveness and costs of utility programs to mitigate risk (including wildfire mitigation programs), and recommend strategies to more efficiently reduce risk.
- Examine utilities' safety inspection records, spending records, and audit reports to ensure effective implementation of wildfire safety programs.
- Conduct policy research and analysis, through systematic application and interpretation of standard economic, statistical, and financial theories.
Writing and advocacy:
- Write comments, testimony, reports, and memoranda to be submitted in proceedings at the Commission and the Office of Energy Infrastructure Safety.
- Advocate for strong enforcement of safety standards and investigate utility safety failures, in proceedings where the Commission considers penalties.
- Plan and execute complex projects to ensure timely completion. Occasionally lead small teams of analysts and engineers, coordinating the work of several engineers, policy analysts, and attorneys.
- Independently carry out assignments, while providing accurate status reports to management and meeting deadlines.
- Represent the Public Advocates Office in conferences, workshops, and other public forums.
- Perform other job-related duties and assignments as required to support the efforts of Public Advocates Office.
PURA IV Salary range: $8,022.00 - $10,042.00 per month
PURA IV Salary range: $8,814.00 - $11,031.00 per month
For more information on this position and how to apply, please visit:
Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst V (Shall Consider PURA IV) – Public Advocates Office – JC – 361081 FFD – 03/27/2023 – SF
Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst V (Shall Consider PURA IV) – Public Advocates Office – JC – 361120 FFD – 03/27/2023 – SAC
Public Utilities Regulatory Analyst V (Shall Consider PURA IV) – Public Advocates Office – JC – 361198 FFD – 03/27/2023 – LA
Application deadline is March 27, 2023