Transportation Engineer Trainee - Pavement Management Target Class: Transportation Engineer 1 and 2 (Engineering)
Interested in a career that has a direct positive impact on Connecticut’s citizens and communities? Join our team of engineers who are working to ensure that Connecticut’s pavements are expertly preserved, rehabilitated and reconstructed!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for a Transportation Engineer Trainee position in the Pavement Management section in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Project Administration Unit at our Newington Headquarters!
Current students who will be graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering by the end of May 2023 are strongly encouraged to apply!
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Mentoring by experienced, licensed professionals
- Competitive starting salary
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off- including 13 holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Alternate work schedule options
- Hybrid (office/telework) opportunities
- Healthy work-life balance
- On-site low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging
- Ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation
- Full-time (40 hours/week)
- 1st Shift
- Centrally located in Newington, CT
- Applicants must be available to travel for training, conferences, meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours, when necessary
- A valid motor vehicle operator's license is required and must be maintained
- New hires to State service start at Paygrade FS 18, step 5, currently $69,128 annually
Transportation Engineer Trainees receive training to develop technical engineering skills and knowledge. After successfully completing your one-year training program, you will be promoted to the target class of Transportation Engineer 1 (Engineering). After successfully completing two years as a Transportation Engineer 1, you will be promoted to Transportation Engineer 2.
Engineers in the Pavement Management section:
- provide services to assist decision makers in determining cost-effective strategies for maintaining, preserving, rehabilitating, and reconstructing the Connecticut state-maintained network of pavements.
- manage pavement databases that include pavement condition, pavement inventory, and pavement activity data. These databases are used within a Pavement Management System (PMS) for a network-level approach to optimize the cost-benefit ratio of construction programs for the entire network. These programs include pavement resurfacing, preservation, rehabilitation, and reconstruction.
- manage project development for the Pavement Preservation Program, collaborating with engineers throughout units within the department, from project initiation through to full project establishment.
- review pavement condition data for the annual Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS) submittal to FHWA.
- oversee and ensure quality assurance of pavement condition data collected by the CTDOT Photolog Unit according to a federally approved data quality management plan.
- provide pavement data updates to FHWA each year for CTDOT’s Asset Management Implementation Documentation for FHWA to perform an annual consistency review. Pavement inventory and condition data, performance projections using the PMS, gaps in targets, and pavement financial information, are all needed for the submittal, which also includes an updated pavement fact sheet each year.
- respond to pavement data inquiries from the executive level and public to address legislative, news related highway concerns and citizen concerns.
- provide state pavement performance measures for inclusion in the CTDOT Performance Measures Dashboard.
DISCOVER THE CHANCE TO
- Learn progressively more about pavement and asset management
- Problem solve, recommend, and implement effective solutions in a timely manner
- Contribute to providing safe and efficient transportation improvements for the traveling public
- Utilize computer software such as Microsoft Excel, SQL Server, Access and database management applications
- Showcase your oral, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
Application Details: Please list your Driver's license number, expiration date, and issuing State, Engineer in Training license number (if applicable) and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications you hold, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of your application.
WHO WE ARE
At the DOT, our mission is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. Learn more about our mission, vison, and values here!