Hedge Fund – Equity Research - Data Analyst
J. Goldman & Co., L.P. (“JGC”) is an independent investment manager founded in 1986 by Jay G. Goldman and has been in continuous operation for over three decades. JGC’s investment philosophy is based upon fundamental analysis, a comprehensive understanding of the capital markets and disciplined execution on investment ideas. JGC seeks to achieve attractive risk-adjusted returns in all market conditions with low correlation and low volatility. The firm employs a rigorous process to identify, evaluate and allocate capital to the best ideas of its investment professionals. JGC is a meritocracy where teamwork is demanded, talent is rewarded and absolute integrity is required.
The firm is seeking a Data Research Analyst to join our Data Science Team. Working directly with Portfolio Managers and their teams, this person will be an integral part of the research process by providing data driven research and insights. The Data Research Analyst will be passionate about Data and how it can enhance the investment process.
· Research existing and new datasets - highlight sentiment incongruity or other data anomalies/thoughts and communicate ideas clearly and effectively to PMs and Analysts
· Track company KPIs and analyze vs. correlated data; create high-level estimates throughout the quarter and for earnings previews
· Evaluate additional data sets/tools that may help the firm generate insights on companies under coverage
· Work directly with portfolio managers to perform ad hoc analysis
· Build and maintain daily reports leveraging data visualization tools such as Tableau
· Collaborate with other data analysts to scale central processes and augment the research process
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE (required)
· Bachelor’s degree with strong academic record from a competitive institution
· Master’s degree in data science or statistics is preferred
· Minimum 1-2+ years of experience working with alternative datasets at a financial services company
o OR minimum 2-3+ years working with datasets and analytics in a relevant industry combined with a demonstrated interest in and passion for the equity markets
· Understanding of different types of alternative data sets, how they are captured and how they relate to the businesses being tracked
· High proficiency in Microsoft Excel including dynamic named ranges, index/match, parsing etc., VBA preferred but not required
· Demonstrated experience with SQL, such as Snowflake or PostgreSQL
· Demonstrated experience successfully using Tableau or similar data visualization tools, such as PowerBI
· Demonstrated experience with Python
· Experience working with AWS S3 or other cloud-based data warehouses strongly preferred but not required
To perform the job successfully, an individual should excel in the following areas:
· Problem Solving & Innovation- the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely and creative manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully and maintains confidentiality.
· Interpersonal skills- the individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to new ideas, effectively communicates and partners with others at the firm
· Written communication- the individual demonstrates superior writing/drafting skills, presents information clearly and concisely, and can read and interpret written information with ease
· Judgement & Ethics- Display consistently strong judgment and high ethical standards to set an example for the firm. Instills confidence with investors and employees in the compliance culture, policies, and procedures.
· Quality control- the individual demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, monitors work to ensure quality and possesses a strong attention to detail.
· Project Management & Planning - the individual possesses impressive organizational skills, prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
· Dependability- the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
The Firm offers a total compensation package that includes a base salary and discretionary performance-related bonus, as well as a comprehensive benefits package. Consistent with New York City’s Pay Transparency Law, the currently anticipated base salary range for this role is $125,000 to $175,000, which is specific to New York City and New York State. When crafting an offer of employment and total compensation package for candidates, the Firm may incorporate a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, an individual’s experience level and qualifications.