Behavior Aide/Teaching Assistant
-If you join by 5/1/2023, you will be eligible for a $2,000 end of year bonus-
Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel Academy is seeking a Paraprofessional/1:1 Aide to:
- Provide small group or 1:1 behavioral & academic support to a student with special needs
- Provide 1:1 student support based on specific needs outlined in his/her IEP
- Provide inclusion support to students with special needs in General Education and Foundational level courses
- Work with staff to develop behavioral intervention plans and implement plans to ensure student learning and classroom behavior goals are met
- Work with staff to develop and provide academic support plans for student(s) with special needs
- Confer and collaborate with teachers to ensure accommodations are met in inclusive settings; and
- Provide input for student’s IEP
- A high school diploma or equivalent;
- Certification as a Teaching Assistant from the Rhode Island Department of Education, or completion of a B.A. or B.S. in a related field (Sociology, Counseling, Criminal Justice, etc.) preferred; Associate's Degree holders will be considered;
- Experience working with students with substantial behavioral needs;
- Experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- Physical Restraint Training preferred, but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.