Summer 2023 Equity, Culture, and Talent Intern
About Naral Pro-Choice America
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and expand reproductive freedom—including access to abortion and contraception—for every body. We are powered by our more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support the legal right to abortion.
As the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access, we organize and mobilize, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom, and shining a spotlight of accountability on bad actors who work to impose their ideological agenda on others. We also work to elect champions for reproductive freedom and advance state and federal legislation to safeguard it.
NARAL Pro-Choice America centers diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our work. Continuously learning from our history, we strive to hold ourselves accountable so we can realize our vision for a world where reproductive freedom is a reality for all.
NARAL Pro-Choice America Seeks Summer 2023 Equity, Culture, and Talent Intern
NARAL Pro-Choice America is hiring for our internship and fellowship program. Our program will help you gain real-world, practical job skills to prepare you for your career. As one of the leading advocacy organizations in the country, you'll be learning from the best - and leaving your mark on the organization as well. Our interns contribute significantly to the fight to protect and expand reproductive freedom for every body.
We are looking for fiercely pro-choice candidates with a strong commitment to reproductive freedom. If you're interested in policy, politics, non-profit work, and/or reproductive freedom, we want to hear from you!
Compensation: $16.10/hour, $16.20-San Jose
Start Date: June 12, 2023
End Date: August 11, 2023
Location: This internship/fellowship will be fully remote.
Hours: Interns/Fellows can work between 20 - 37.5 hours a week, with flexible hours as needed.
In this internship, you will perform the following duties…
- Provide administrative support around the development of processes, protocols, and procedures for the organization
- Evaluate internal processes and generate opportunities to improve equity
- Spearhead high-impact internal projects to increase engagement and belonging
- Support the Chief of ECT in implementing equity, culture, and talent programs and initiatives for staff
- Examine and revamp current policies to assess the extent to which they support or uphold NARAL's ECT goals and values
- Review and revise documents, presentations, and other materials for final copy
- Attend internal meetings with other departments to support programs
- Employ a socially conscious lens when completing projects to ensure that the language and/or graphics used are inclusive, accessible, and equitable
In this internship you will learn:
- The aspects of implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion for the development of staff in a non-profit organization
- How to build a timeline around projects, working backwards from implementation date
- The nonprofit field and reproductive freedom movement
- Communication skills development: Speaking, writing, interpersonal, teamwork/collaboration, leadership
- Professional behavior and/or knowledge: develop research, analysis, time management, teamwork, multiple task coordination, project management, critical thinking and decision making skills, and navigating challenging conversations
We're looking for someone who…
- Has excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Has demonstrated ability to proofread documents for both substance and typographical errors
- Takes initiative to manage projects once direction is given
- Is organized and can handle multiple projects
- Has a demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Has demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Is committed to advancing reproductive freedom
- Meet deadlines consistently in a fast-paced environment
- Has strong interpersonal skills and displays cultural sensitivity
- Puts people first and has a customer service approach to work
- Has some knowledge of or interest in DEI principles and practices, and human resources practices
$16.10 - $16.10 an hour
Fellow Hourly Rate: $19.00
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientations, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color (including bilingual and bicultural individuals), LGBTQ+ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.