Douglas & London - Paralegal
Are you seeking direct exposure to the legal field at a fast-paced litigation firm? Do you crave a fulfilling professional experience as part of a dynamic team? Can you see yourself helping to represent injured clients against some of the world's biggest corporations?
This plaintiff firm located in downtown Manhattan is looking for full-time paralegal(s). The firm specializes in pharmaceutical mass tort, environmental or toxic tort, and other complex litigation matters. We believe that true justice means advocating for those who have suffered due to corporate malfeasance, and we are committed to giving a voice to those who would otherwise be without recourse against powerful business interests.
The role of paralegal includes being the first line of contact and communication for our clients. As a member of the client service management team, you will be acting as the most direct and frequent source of information about the litigation process. You will provide verbal and written updates about the status of a case, and you will need to ensure a smooth and continuous line of communication with our clients throughout the process, which can last years. You will be responsible for advancing the case through the various litigation stages, ensuring correct and up-to-date information, sufficient evidence and a comprehensive strategy to support each individual claim. You will also liaise with the litigation associates and be involved in preparing the relevant cases for trial.
A paralegal is often the team member closest to the facts of the file, and therefore, best positioned to build a rapport of trust with the client. As such there is no limit to the influence you could have on this team, and we welcome people who are ready to innovate. The right candidate will be motivated, enthusiastic, driven, and genuinely interested in a future in the legal industry. Professional demeanor is a must, as you will often act as the face of the firm. Good people and communication skills are also key. Attention to detail and organization is paramount: this is a high-volume business, and our paralegals often handle between 3000-5000 active cases at a time, so maintaining proper databases and regularly sweeping our file system for clean-up is a foundational part of the paralegal’s job. No prior experience is necessary, although it is helpful and would be compensated accordingly.
Above all, we are looking for a ‘team player’ with a can-do attitude.
Compensation is negotiable and may be commensurate with experience. A full-time in-office presence is required for the first 90 days, at which time a flexible remote work option may be discussed.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Job Type: Full-time
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Location: First 3 months (90 days) = full-time in-office presence required
Compensation: Negotiable (commensurate with experience); range of $45-95,000 annually
· Junior candidates will be offered 40-hour work weeks, with OT (pay and a half) for any hours over 40 worked per week
· Senior candidates will be offered a managerial salary, with the understanding and expectation that hours may exceed 40 per week
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Paralegal experience a plus
- Prior experience in a legal office a plus
- Foreign language skills a plus (Spanish preferred)
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with TrialWorks a plus
- Motivated – has a genuine desire to perform well, learn new things and improve professionally;
- Dependable – has integrity; is reliable, honest, trustworthy;
- Enthusiastic – has a positive, team player, can-do attitude and is pleasant to work with;
- Adaptable/flexible – has the ability to navigate frequent shifts in direction;
- Detail-oriented – takes the time to review their work;
- Organized – recognizes the importance of establishing and following document naming and retrieval system protocols;
- Independent – is able to work autonomously to a certain degree and suggest processes to improve the team's working experience;
- People skills – can form a rapport and build a relationship with our clients;
- Communication skills – has the ability to explain complex concepts in a simple manner; strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Creative – does not stop at the first immediate task to be completed; rather, thinks as far ahead as possible to determine how to most efficiently advance the case and achieve a favorable result for our clients.
Benefits for full-time employees:
- Flexible remote work
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Insurance: health, dental, vision, disability, and life