Research Enrollment Coordinator I
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Mass General Brigham Personalized Medicine is looking for a motivated and energetic Research Enrollment Coordinator to drive recruitment for two related research programs at Massachusetts General Hospital. Both programs are at the forefront of integrating genomic results into clinical care.
- The eMERGE (Electronic Medical Records and Genomics) IV Study is focused on the utility of incorporating polygenic risk scores into clinical care. As part of the eMERGE study, consented participants will receive a personalized health risk report for several common health conditions with information about their polygenic risk, clinical history, and family history. Results will be placed into the electronic health record and participants with high genetic risk will be asked to meet with the study genetic counselor to review results. We will observe study outcomes through participant surveys and electronic health record data to learn if providers and patients changed their behavior based on the personalized health risk report. We are recruiting at primary care clinics that see many English and Spanish speaking patients.
- The Mass General Brigham (MGB) Biobank is a large research program designed to help researchers understand how people’s health is affected by their genes, lifestyle, and environment. Biobank Coordinators help patients make informed decisions about participating in the MGB Biobank research program. Biobank Coordinators assist to educate and recruit patients who are being seen across MGH, MEEI, and SRH outpatient and inpatient practices.
This position provides an opportunity to work in a dynamic, clinical research setting with a specific focus on personalized medicine. The position is ideal for candidates interested in pursuing careers in medicine, clinical research, or public health, and particularly for a person interested in genetic counseling, implementation medicine, and patient engagement.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Research Enrollment Coordinator, under the supervision of the Project Manager, will lead patient recruitment in the following tasks:
Contacting potential participants, answering study related questions posed via e-mail or phone calls from potential participants and/or the general public, educating participants about the study including the possible risks/benefits, procedural details and significance of the study, obtaining informed consent from potential study participants, tracking consent status using specialized software, maintaining study participant forms and databases, administering electronic health surveys to consented study participants, providing assistance to participants when completing surveys, monitoring sample collection from consented patients, tracking sample transfer to central repository, and assisting with return of genetic results.
- Assists Project Manager to implement patient recruitment strategies.
- Work closely with the project managers, genetic counselors, and primary care providers at Mass General Brigham to promote the eMERGE study and Biobank initiative.
- Assists in preparation and shipment of collected samples to the central facility.
- Assists with the development, organization, and/or maintaining the study database. Responsible for data validation and quality control. Coordinates with Consent Tracking to ensure proper subject identification.
- Responsible for data entry.
- Supports collaborating studies with recruitment, collection, and management of study database as needed.
- Recommends changes to research protocols to improve recruitment and collection rates.
- Assists with clinic expansion at new clinics or sites.
- Participate in presentation development and execution of study results. Attends virtual meetings and scientific conferences when appropriate.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must have interpersonal skills to interact effectively with patients from varied backgrounds, MDs, researchers and other team members.
- Must be able to prioritize and organize work responsibilities in order to meet deadlines.
- Must possess integrity to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate accuracy in recording data.
- Must possess strong database management and overall computer skills.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate analytical skills and be able to problem solve effectively.
High School diploma required. BS or BA degree or equivalent preferred.
- 1-2 years of related experience preferred.
- Spanish fluency preferred, but not required.
- Experience obtaining consent from patients preferred.
Works in normal office environment and hospital clinic.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.