Social Media & Communications Intern
Come aboard as the first-ever Social Media & Communications Intern at the Luminos Fund, an international nonprofit bringing education opportunities to the world’s most vulnerable children. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to grow their communications and social media management skills, gain practical experience within the nonprofit field, and contribute their talents to a mission-oriented organization.
Luminos is looking for a team player who is ready to roll up their sleeves in this role. We seek someone who is an excellent writer, expert at social media, data focused, collaborative, detail-oriented, tenacious, and creative. Successful candidates will navigate multiple priorities and time-sensitive projects competently, enjoy contributing their talents on diverse social media, research, and writing projects, and be passionate about education and children.
This is a part-time (12-hours per week) unpaid internship. The internship is for 10 weeks starting June 1st. Candidates must be based in Boston. The position will report to the Development & Communications Associate and will involve close collaboration with other members of the Development & Communications team.
ABOUT THE LUMINOS FUND
The Luminos Fund (www.luminosfund.org) provides transformative education programs to thousands of out-of-school children, helping them to catch up to grade level, reintegrate into government schools, and prepare for lifelong learning. Working in partnership with community-based organizations, Luminos is scaling up its accelerated learning program to ensure all children have equal access to joyful, foundational learning, especially those shut out of education by crisis, poverty, or discrimination. To date, Luminos has helped over 218,541 children secure a second chance to learn. A registered 501(c)(3) non-profit, Luminos is working in Ethiopia, Ghana, Lebanon, Liberia, and The Gambia.
Luminos is supported by a range of funding partners, including Cartier Philanthropy, Dubai Cares, Legatum, and UBS Optimus Foundation. Luminos has been recognized for its achievements globally, receiving the 2022 Klaus J. Jacobs Best Practice Prize, the Library of Congress International Literacy Award, the Lipman Family Prize, the WISE Award, and the HundrED Global Innovation Award for the last six years.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the Development & Communications Associate, conduct a full social media audit of all Luminos social platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Track weekly social media engagement to identify high-performing content and monitor any existing campaigns for performance and scalability.
- Assist with the drafting and development of weekly social media content and captions to promote Luminos key messages and amplify student voices.
- Support the management of the organization’s social media content calendar.
- Help create and edit short-form social media videos and graphics in collaboration with other members of the Communications team.
- Proactively contribute creative ideas for growing the organization’s social media presence, increasing engagement, and developing compelling social media campaigns.
- Perform social media marketing research and other marketing and communication duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in marketing or a related field of study.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proofreading skills.
- Deep knowledge of social media platforms and trends, particularly LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- In-depth experience or working knowledge of social media management platforms (e.g., Hootsuite, Canva, or Sprout Social).
- Experience with or exposure to marketing and brand building.
- Belief and demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of the Luminos Fund.
- A demonstrated passion for amplifying marginalized voices and stories.
- Creative curiosity and hunger for continuous learning, including learning new technology.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Impeccable attention to detail, and innate sense of responsibility for delivery of quality work.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments under deadline.
- Strong sense of integrity, confidentiality, and discretion.
- Dogmatic adherence to and protection of brand standards, message, and tone.
- Can-do attitude: comfortable working on a small team in a frequently evolving environment.
The Luminos Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.