State Program Administrator Principal - Business and Community Development Representative
This position works in DEED’s Economic Development Division, Office of Business Finance. We offer a dynamic team-oriented environment where everyone's contribution is key to successful outcomes. You’ll be part of, and contribute to, a lively and energetic team of professionals dedicated to the Department of Employment and Economic Development’s (DEED) mission to empower the growth of the Minnesota economy, for everyone.
As DEED’s Business Tax Benefits Unit Program Administrator, you will develop, implement, administer, and monitor DEED’s state-wide efforts to provide tax abatement, grant funding and loan assistance to businesses, investors, and local units of government. The incumbent will lead the operation of the Launch Minnesota Innovation Grant Program or Angel Tax Credit Program including its administration, the maintenance of its Information Technology (IT) system in conjunction with MNIT and software vendors, and the presentation of informational sessions to stakeholders. The employee will assist with a vast portfolio of other programs, such as Film Production Tax Credit, Data Center Sales Tax Refund, Border Cities Enterprise Zone, and Greater Minnesota Job Expansion.
The incumbent works closely with a variety of internal and external clients. Internal staff includes Office and Economic Development Division colleagues. External private clients include businesses, investors, fund managers, consultants, accounting and law firms, and financial advisors. Public and non-profit clients include local units of government, community and economic development organizations, and other state agencies. The person in this position will monitor state and federal law, policies and regulations, and direct local communities and businesses of financial needs and strategies.
This posting may be used to fill multiple positions.
To receive credit for your education and experience, your resume should clearly describe how you meet each minimum and/or preferred qualification listed, including dates of employment
Three (3) years* experience in finance, accounting, tax, grant management, or project management experience evaluating and administering business finance, tax refund, tax credit, or grant programs
*Bachelor's degree in Planning, Community Development, Political Science, Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics or other closely related field as determined by the agency may substitute one (1) year of experience; master's degree substitutes for eighteen (18) months of experience; PhD substitutes for twenty-four (24) months of experience
Applicants that meet the above minimum qualifications will be further evaluated on the following:
Experience in grant management, program management, or project management
Experience developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders and partners
Communication skills to:
- Present and explain complex concepts, regulations, and procedures to clients including lenders, prospective borrowers, and community organizers
- Create process documentation, legal agreements, business correspondence, and report writing
Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to understand business financial statements
Incumbent must maintain valid driver's license, & insurance, OR have other reliable transportation
- Four (4) years of experience working with start-up businesses, administering and managing business finance, tax refund, tax credit programs, or grant programs
- Ability to write, read, and understand a variety of technical documents required for the financing programs
- Skill in process development, improvement, and implementation
- Knowledge of business financing lifecycle, equity investment practices (angel investment and venture capital), and impacts to overall business financing structure
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Planning, Community Development, Political Science, Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics or other closely related field as determined by the agency
- Knowledge of governmental legislative process or federal and state program laws, rules, regulations, and policies, that may include Government Data Practices, Affirmative Action, State Wage and/or Job Requirements
- Our employees are dedicated to ensuring cultural responsiveness. Preferred candidates will have a variety of experience working effectively with others from different backgrounds and cultures
This position requires successful completion of the following:
Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. If your skills match the required skills for this position, the department may contact you. Employee reference checks will be conducted on all finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance and education. It includes contact with the applicant's current and/or former employers.
A Criminal Background Check will be conducted on all finalists for this position. A criminal conviction will not automatically remove you from consideration for employment.
When the position requires travel and the applicant drives a state owned or leased vehicle, a driver's license record check will be conducted.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).