ABOUT US: Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine. Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
POSITION TITLE: Biostatistician
Provide a wide range of advanced statistical expertise, guidance, and support to researchers, scientists, faculty, and research teams at the Institute. Participate in the design, development, and reporting of research studies and clinical trials. Collects, analyzes, and interprets biological data across multiple research entities and builds collaborations across the Scripps Research community. Utilize software packages such as SPSS and SAS to perform bio-statistical analyses from clinical trials and laboratory studies in a manner which meets study/project objectives and guidelines.
Perform hands-on data analysis and management from clinical trials and laboratory studies focused on alcohol and drug use disorders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES:
- Design, analyze, implements and reports findings on targeted statistical research studies; provides consultation to investigators and researchers on experimental design and statistical research approaches, requirements, and scientific standards to advance biological knowledge and improve rigor and reproducibility in preclinical research.
- Work with investigators to formalize analysis plans and reporting specifications; Give advice on choice of statistical analysis strategies, reliability of measurements and identifiability of models, and interpretation and presentation of statistical results.
- Build and sustain collaborative relationships with individuals in different disciplines and serves as subject-matter expert for research teams and collaborators.
- Assist in the preparation of clinical trial documents and reports, protocols, investigator brochures, scientific abstracts, peer-reviewed manuscripts, and responses to requests from IACUC, grant agencies, manuscript reviewers.
- Plan and document computer data file structure; develops, programs, manages, and maintains complex statistical databases; perform or supervise data entry; support Data Management process.
- Use a variety of advanced statistical software, methods, and techniques to gather, analyze, and interpret research data to derive useful information for research data; advise and assist in the development of inferences and conclusions, as appropriate.
- Develop enhancements to statistical software, as appropriate, by programming new techniques; maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends in statistical analysis methodology.
- Performs other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in biostatistics with at least 4 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified or master's degree in biostatistics or data science with at least 2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience working with data from proteomics or spectral flow cytometry, or clinical drug trials is preferable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the principles, concepts, methods, and standards of statistical research.
- Ability to apply a range of advanced statistical techniques in support of scientific research studies and/or experiments.
- Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports.
- Ability to consult with scientific investigators, interpret research requirements, and determine statistical analysis strategies.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and draw conclusions from complex statistical information.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in advanced statistical analysis for scientific application.
- Experience with R and R packages is required. Experience in python scripting would help. Experience with other statistical software such as JMP is a plus.
- Knowledge of scientific reporting and manuscript preparation requirements and standards.
- Ability to work in a team environment to design, analyze, and report on research projects.
- Strong analytical communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in areas of expertise.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize projects.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position works in an interior/office work environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
- Applicants must include a resume, cover letter, three professional references.
COMPENSATION: The expected hiring range for this position is $85,000 to $97,000, commensurate with experience. Consideration will be given to experience that exceeds the listed requirements.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS INCLUDE:
- Eligibility for retirement plans with employer contribution.
- Full suite of Health and Welfare plans including three medical plan options (including an HSA available option), dental, vision, life insurance, disability, EAP and more.
- Access to Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical/Dependent Care).
- Remote/Hybrid/Flexible work schedules (Dependent on role).
- Competitive vacation and sick leave policies.
- Free, on-site Counseling Center which provides confidential counseling services to benefits-eligible employees and their family members.
- Free, on-site parking.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of Scripps Research, with or without notice. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Scripps Research staff.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background in the fields of science. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status. Underrepresented individuals are encouraged to apply.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually.