Research Assistant (Clinical Research)
The Research Assistant (Clinical, Behavioral and Outcomes Research) is responsible for data collection and outcome assessment of study participants. Providing general clinical and administrative support to study team, this position ensures accurate data collection and testing to provide quality care to study participants and to reach the goals of the study.
- Coordinate and run study visits including scheduling appointments and instructing participants on visit process. Take study visit outcomes, including taking vital signs, height, weight, and body measurements, performing electrocardiograms, performing routine venous blood drawings, and collecting urine samples.
- Prepare blood samples for processing by spinning in centrifuge, and transferring blood serum to tubes to be stored in freezer until shipment.
- Maintain study participation by developing positive relationships, scheduling follow up appointments, encouraging continued involvement in study.
- Collect and record participant data in study database within guidelines set by the study protocol, IRB, and study sponsor. As well, maintain an in-clinic database of participant contact information, and other study administrative forms
- Responsible for basic administrative duties for study including routine mailings of sub study and laboratory results, follow-up phone calls to participants, preparing study packets for participant visits, and ordering laboratory/office supplies as needed.
- Prepare and maintain exam rooms for study visits.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology/Chemistry or related science.
- Graduate of an accredited medical assistant or phlebotomy program preferred.
- Experience with routine clinical and laboratory procedures preferred.
- Phlebotomy certification – or willingness to become certified on the Joslin Clinical Research center
- Ability to perform repetitive work according to set procedures, sequence and pace.
- Ability to speak on a one-to-one basis to explain study protocols and processes.
- Ability to consistently perform detailed work to ensure accuracy in collecting and recording data, and processing and shipping samples.
- Ability to perform basic phlebotomy skills, including drawing blood, preferred.
- Ability to establish rapport for study participants in order to perform tests to obtain study outcomes and to aid participant retention.
- Ability to prioritize assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently to facilitate patient flow, prepare exam rooms, and take study visit outcomes.
Joslin is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Joslin values diversity and inclusion, and we encourage diversity applicants.
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.