Mozza is an early-stage biotech startup working on two of the most-pressing issues of our time: climate change and animal welfare. We are engineering plants to produce bovine milk proteins, making dairy without cows. Our goal is the complete removal of cows from the dairy manufacturing process. We define success as a mozzarella cheese made with milk proteins from our plants that is indistinguishable from mozzarella made from cow's milk, in stores and on pizzas within 48 months.
Our research facility is located in downtown Los Angeles and we’re actively looking to expand our team.
About the Role:
We are looking for Research Associates to join our team. The right candidates shares our passion for environmental sustainability and the disruption of the animal agriculture industry. We are currently in the early phases of research and development so your work here will be instrumental in guiding the next generation of environmentally sustainable foods to market.
In this exciting role, you will work on the development, design, and expression optimization of novel proteins in plants. You will work with plants, bacteria, and perform various forms of fluorescence reporter assays. You will be expected to analyze experimental results, generate reports, and present findings at group meetings.
The right candidate will be highly proficient in basic lab techniques and procedures. You will be required to develop and execute complex experimental protocols. analyze resulting data, calibrate and handle sensitive equipment, work in and manage sterile environments, and report and record experimental procedures and findings in meticulous detail. Our research techniques change in response to new findings, so the right candidate must be flexible and adept at learning new skills as our research evolves.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Plasmid construction
- E. coli culture
- Plant and bacteria transformation
- Fluorescent microscopy
- Western blotting
- Gel electrophoresis and membrane transfer
- Experiment preparation
The successful candidate MUST be highly detail oriented and very organized.
Given the delicate nature of working with plants and running time-sensitive experiments, some weekend and after hour work is often required.
- B.S. degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry or a related field; or the equivalent experience in an academic laboratory.
- 2 or more years of experience working in a biological lab setting during or after undergrad.
- Ability to keep accurate, organized records and maintain an electronic notebook.
- Ability to clearly organize and archive samples.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with other members of the project.
- Ability to meet agreed upon deadlines, manage time effectively and work efficiently.
- Ability to coordinate and manage standard lab upkeep.
- Strong basic math skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Has a passion for learning and contributing to a game-changing project.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Applicants must be able to commute daily and work from our laboratory located in Los Angeles CA