Research Biologist (Computational) (Research Associate)
ARS Postdoctoral Research Associates are hired to supplement a lead scientist's research on agricultural problems of high national priority affecting American agriculture.
The incumbent will conduct analyses on the genetics and genomics of hop (Humulus lupulus L.) with an emphasis on breeding for disease resistance.
The primary duty location for this position is 100% remote and will be confirmed at time of selection.
**ANNOUNCEMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED OR DECEMBER 29, 2023**
APPLY HERE: USAJOBS - Job Announcement
- Analyze existing dataset to optimize phenotypic data collection in QTL mapping studies for disease resistance in hop.
- Construct a consensus genetic map using a multi-parent population in hop.
- Conduct QTL mapping for resistance to powdery mildew in hop.
- Write reproducible analyses, interpret results, publish findings in peer-reviewed publications.
Conditions of Employment
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Direct Deposit ? Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/
- Appropriations Law and Immigration Law requirements must be met
This position requires a Ph.D in plant science, genetics, genomics, plant pathology, biology, bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field of study that has equipped the applicant with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Applicants must meet basic Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standard's requirements of the scientific discipline necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
A. Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
B. Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
This position has a positive education requirement. You must submit a copy of your academic transcripts OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grades received to verify education when applying for this position. If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty. Application materials will not be returned.