Alpha Public Schools is a public charter school network of four schools educating approximately 1,900 scholars in east San Jose. Guided by the belief that our students belong in college, we ensure safe, inclusive, and student-centered learning environments to help our students thrive. What sets us apart is the very thing that makes us who we are– our community. Alpha was founded by a group of mothers on the eastside of San Jose who sought better educational opportunities for their students. We maintain a strong connection to our community and engage families in a collaborative approach to offer a holistic education to our students.
A successful Alpha Education Specialist:
The successful Alpha teacher believes that ALL students are capable of success. They uphold high expectations for students and they utilize student data to drive their instruction, ensuring that our scholars are achieving growth. The successful Alpha teacher is excited to receive coaching and feedback, understanding that their growth as an educator is an ever-evolving process. We seek educators who are committed to amplifying and celebrating the diverse experiences and cultures of our scholars and their families; educators who are excited to be a member of a vibrant school community; and, educators who provide access to instruction for all students by responding to socio-emotional needs, supporting literacy development across all classes and content areas, using culturally responsive instructional strategies, and accommodating individual learning differences.
Alpha Education Specialists are expected to:
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials to teach standards-based curriculum
- Operate a classroom that includes sound classroom management practices and engaging lessons and that produces strong academic results.
- Maintain open lines of communication with staff, families, and the greater Alpha community
- Participate in regular and on-going professional development, observations, and feedback sessions
- Collaborate with general education teachers to ensure consistent implementation of IEPs across all school environments
- Utilize assessment results, both formal and informal, to develop legally defensible and data-driven IEPs
What we offer:
At Alpha we care deeply about our scholars and staff. To support our team (and hopefully you!) we offer:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and credential status (as well as compounding retention incentives for returning Alpha teachers)
- See our 2022-23 Teacher Salary Scale Summary Sheet
- Health benefits plans for medical, vision, and dental insurance coverage for staff and their families
- Retirement matching options
- Paid time off for holidays and breaks (6 weeks throughout the school year in addition to 6 weeks during the summer)
- Generous paternity/maternity leave benefits including 4 weeks of paid parental leave in addition to the state and federal leave allowances
- Paid tuition for Induction and reimbursement for passing scores on credential required exams
- Employee Assistance Program that provides access to professional services for workplace, life, and wellbeing support and services
- Relocation assistance for teammates moving from 250+ miles away
- $3,000 sign-on bonus for Education Specialist
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A valid (or eligible for) California Teaching or Education Specialist Credential (Special Education - Mild to Moderate with Autism Authorization)
- Subject matter knowledge and strong classroom management skills (or willingness to learn)
- A commitment to working with students in traditionally underserved communities. Approximately 80% of Alpha’s students are from under-resourced communities and will be the first in their families to go to college. The majority of our students are Latinx and/or Vietnamese.