Special Events Internship - Fall 2023
Special Events Interns work closely with South Bronx United’s Executive Director in planning and managing nonprofit fundraising events with a focus on SBU’s Annual Benefit. The Annual Benefit, which raised $111,000 last year, represents a significant and essential portion of SBU’s operating budget allowing SBU to keep pace with growing programming needs of Bronx youth.
September – November. Exact hours are flexible and will fluctuate according to key periods with more hours likely needed immediately prior to the Benefit in early November, and the Benefit on November 8th.
814 River Avenue, Suite 2
Bronx, NY 10451
Work can often be done remotely if needed.
10-15 hours a week, September to November. The workload of the position is expected to fluctuate around key periods, but is often flexible for a candidate to choose their hours.
All interns will be trained, supervised by the Development Manager.
While the position is unpaid, interns have the opportunity to see the inner workings of a small but growing nonprofit and the process of planning and managing a major fundraising event.
• Support a team, the SBU Benefit Committee, in planning and promoting the 5th Annual SBU Benefit
• Solicit donations for the event (venue, food, drinks, auctions items, etc)
• Organize event logistics (catering, registration, recruiting and training volunteers, music, awards program, etc.)
• Manage guest list, ticket purchases, monetary donations, and mailing list
• Support creation of event materials (save the date, evite, sponsor letters)
• Create financial reports for event
• Create run of show for event day and evening
• Promote event on social media and with appropriate mainstream media
• Support other fundraising events as planned by SBU’s Supporters Club Board
Along with possessing a passion for supporting nonprofit work and serving urban youth, an intern should have strong communication and writing skills and comfort using Microsoft Excel and Google Documents. Additionally, an ideal candidate would also have a BA in communications, nonprofit management, marketing, or another related field, as well as experience in event planning and/or fundraising.