Risk (Second Line of Defense) Summer Analyst Internship
During our 10-week summer internship program, beginning in June 2024, you will gain technical and problem-solving skills which will enable you to build your career with Santander through on the job technical training, business overviews, professional development training and networking.
This 2024 Summer Internship is for undergraduate students who have an anticipated graduation date between December 2024 and May 2025.
Santander’s Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB) Risk Summer Analyst will be responsible for supporting Credit Officers and Head of Group in proactive management of a portfolio of accounts in CIB. Become familiar with Bank’s credit policies and framework in support of risk management and business development. Build relationships with Credit, Relationship, Product, and Legal Partners. Support manager of the department on continuous improvement initiatives.
The application deadline for this position is Sunday, January 7, 2024.
This internship position is located in New York, NY. Before applying, please keep in mind that our internship program does not offer any relocation assistance. To learn more about our summer internship program and the activities included, please visit https://www.santandercareers.com/students
- Supports credit officers in gathering research, news, rating agency updates.
- Supports credit officers in analyzing company trends by researching 10K, 10Qs, earnings release, and other publicly available information. Assists in identifying risks associated with a client.
- Researches and summarizes industry characteristics and trends as requested.
- Assists in reviewing overall 1LOD proposals for accuracy and completeness. Reviews relevant deal documents / information provided in data room by Company / Sponsor, and third party reports.
- Presents findings, deal merits/challenges, and recommendations to credit officer by distilling complex information and communicating in a straight-forward and concise manner.
- Spreads financials in certain cases. Reviews spreads presented by 1LOD for accuracy and completeness of numbers as well as adjustments.
- Checks HLT/HRL calculations. Checks FCCR and Debt Repayment tests.
- Adhoc projects as needed, such as researching and summarizing impact of hurricanes, tariffs, geopolitical conflicts, amongst others.
- Fully prepared for committees/meetings, including the dissemination of all relevant materials ahead of time. Takes minutes as requested.
- Assists in reviewing specific aspects in legal documents.
- Assists in liaising and coordinating meetings with 1LOD, Bankers, Legal, Middle Office as needed.
- Assists in preparing drafts of 2LOD Assessments as part of credit approvals. Assist in documenting 2LOD challenge and feedback.
- Strictly adheres to all Compliance policies of the Bank.
- Attends Business Line and Product Sessions. Complete assigned end of internship Final Project.
- Our interns should actively support our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion strategy which supports employees from every background and fosters an environment where colleagues feel welcomed, valued, listened to and able to contribute to and grow at our company. We believe that a diverse and inclusive environment helps create prosperity for employees, helps us serve our diverse clients, and contribute positively to our communities.
We have a very strong interest to grow from within and therefore we make it our mission to focus on attracting and retaining junior talent. Our program is designed to get you on the right path to the next level. We have a strong global SCIB footprint which fosters an environment in which we promote internal mobility both locally and globally.
- Shifts and/or schedules may change throughout the year as dictated by management and business needs
- Travel to multiple facilities may be required
- May be required to lift, push, or pull materials weighing up to twenty (20) pounds
- May be required to sit and review information on a computer screen for long periods of time
- May require repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard
- Corporate / satellite office role
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs
- An undergraduate student with an expected graduation date between either Fall 2023 or Spring 2024
- Cumulative GPA is 3.25 or above
- Highly motivated and results oriented with a desire to exceed expectations
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and courage in their leadership style
- Crisp communication skills with the ability to express facts and ideas clearly both verbally and in writing, interacting professionally, transparently, and effectively with people at all levels
- Strong critical thinking with the ability to develop solutions to complex challenges
- Ability to multi-task as required
- Ability to work independently on special projects
- Create an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion where all perspectives are valued and all people are welcomed.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.