Internship - Research Engineer
Seagate Research is an early innovation organization within Seagate Technology that scouts new technologies and new potential revenue streams for the company. Among its responsibilities, Seagate Research seeks to reduce the barriers to data storage through innovations in data collection and communication.
For this role, we are seeking a graduate student intern with research experience in optical physics or optoelectronics. The student may have modeling experience in the area of photonic integrated circuit (PIC) design, or experimental test experience of fabricated PICs.
About the role - you will:
- Design and model optical devices, namely photonic integrated circuits or silicon photonic devices, selecting the appropriate materials and geometries for the device performance goals. Execute design layouts for submission to external foundries
- Alternatively, the candidate will have hands-on test experience, using common photonic/electronic test equipment, in evaluating PIC performance.
- You are viewed as a creative thinker and problem solver who has expertise in a variety of seemingly disparate technical fields
- You are excited about working alongside a multi-disciplinary team
- You are able to drive project execution with only occasional guidance from your mentor.
Your experience includes:
- In the process of earning a research thesis-based advanced degree in physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or other related disciplines with familiarity with the above duties
- Experience with simulation and modeling of electromagnetic and photonic devices with relevant software, with design automation and scripting experience using these simulation environments (e.g. Lumerical or equivalent). Nice to have: experience with silicon photonic design-layout-test flows (tapeout(s) in a commercial foundry)
- Alternatively, lab experience with measuring free space optical set-ups, and/or performance testing of photonic integrated circuits. Familiarity with layout and test automation tools
You might also have:
- Experience with optical sensors for ranging, imaging, or spectrometry.
Our Shakopee campus is located 25 minutes southwest of Minneapolis in a setting with a rural vibe – it overlooks a horse racing track and stables, yet it has great entertainment venues close by as well. With wide-open spaces, the campus has plenty of space for running, biking, shooting some hoops or playing volleyball over lunch. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, tournaments and group workouts. Hungry? Seagate offers an on-site café with freshly sourced foods and specialty coffees, or if you prefer, drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away. #internship
Location: Shakopee, United States