Wetland Restoration Outreach Coordinator VISTA
Connect communities to nature! As our VISTA, you will drive outreach efforts for the Wetland Restoration Project, empowering underserved individuals with free access to enriching outdoor programs.
The Wetland Restoration Outreach Coordinator VISTA will be an integral part of the dynamic team at our growing nonprofit organization. As the VISTA, you will play a vital role in developing community partnerships and raising awareness for the Rosewood Nature Study Area Wetland Restoration Project. Your primary focus will be on implementing and updating a comprehensive marketing and outreach plan, utilizing various channels like social media, traditional media, and website design to promote the project. Through your efforts, we aim to communicate the numerous health benefits associated with nature and the exciting educational opportunities available at the site to the general public. These programs aim to alleviate poverty by offering free, easily accessible health and education based opportunities to low-income community members that may not otherwise have access to outdoor educational and recreational activities.
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation is a private nonprofit that was incorporated in 2012 and received its 501(c)(3) determination in 2013. The Parks Foundation protects and enhances our communities' livability through public engagement, education, and the sustainability of our parks, open spaces, and trails. Current programs focus on improving community health and wellness and developing people’s appreciation for the natural and cultural history found in local parks. A special emphasis is placed on increasing access to free programming for low income community members in order to improve education and health outcomes for people living in poverty.
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our team represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and abilities, and we strive to act with mutual respect, integrity, and care. We seek candidates whose personal and/or professional experiences have prepared them to share in our commitment to fostering connections and inclusion with diverse people both within our office and in the outdoors.
Service Location: Reno, NV
Timeline for Service: December 3, 2023 - December 4, 2024
- Create and maintain community partnerships for the Rosewood Nature Study Area;
- Implement an outreach plan for the Wetland Restoration Project;
- Help develop and maintain the new Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation website with wetland project updates and any additional information;
- Grow the Wetland Restoration Program’s exposure through traditional media coverage such as setting up speaking engagements and newspaper articles;
- Track and manage program advertising campaigns and engagement through social media outreach.
- Evaluate and update strategies for reaching underserved and marginalized communities and introducing them to the Rosewood Nature Study Area
- Commitment to the Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation mission and vision;
- Bachelor’s degree and/or one year of experience in marketing, public relations, and/or communications;
- Experience in graphic and/or website design;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- High degree of initiative and spirit of service;
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience using social media and traditional media as tools for marketing and outreach;
- Preferred: Knowledge of natural resource management strategies;
- Preferred: Reading, writing, and speaking competency in Spanish language.
Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation’s Wetland Restoration Outreach Coordinator VISTA is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service and will serve within the AmeriCorps VISTA program. AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Each VISTA member makes a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. To learn more about the AmeriCorps programs visit americorps.gov.
Compensation and Benefits
- In return for their service, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a living allowance of approximately $22,822.
- Upon completion of service, choice of Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of approximately $6,895 or post-service stipend of $1,800.
- A relocation settling-in allowance of no less than $750 if you are moving more than 50 miles, and travel allowance based on mileage may also apply.
- Health benefits during service.
- Child care assistance (if applicable).
- Qualified student loan deferment or forbearance.
- Non-competitive eligibility for qualified government jobs the first year after completing service.
- Professional development through monthly training, skills learned in service, and experience in a nonprofit environment.
- Truckee Meadows Parks Foundation offers flex time, mileage reimbursement for service-related travel, a casual dress code, and a fun office environment!
Visit the TMPF website www.tmparksfoundation.org for more information.