Intern, Data Engineer
Iridium is an award-winning and innovative satellite communications company with bragging rights to the only network that offers voice and data connectivity anywhere in the world. For over 20 years, Iridium’s unique network and services have supported critical communications needs for individuals, businesses, and the evolving Internet of Things.
At Iridium, we understand the importance of staying connected and the limitations of traditional communications networks. People across the globe, including first responders, humanitarians, global militaries, scientific researchers, and lone workers, as well as ships, aircraft and remote operations all rely on Iridium to stay connected. We take our responsibility for providing these essential communications very seriously and pride ourselves on offering a reliable lifeline when needed. Likewise, Iridium is committed to providing an exciting and innovative workplace, where employees are challenged to think outside the box and collaborate on new, bold ideas and solutions. Our talented teams are passionate about their work and the impact our company makes around the world. Iridium fosters an empowering and inclusive culture that allows employees to genuinely be their best selves. We are looking for others who want to join this truly unique company that celebrates our employees and provides the opportunity to truly make a difference in the world.
Looking for a meaningful internship opportunity that will give you real-world experience and help you grow as a professional? Look no further than the Iridium Internship Program where you will be an integral part of the Iridium teams shaping the future of satellite communications! The Iridium Internship program is a 12-week program that runs from May 20, 2024 to August 9, 2024. As an Iridium Intern, you’ll begin making an impact on real projects from day one! During the program, come prepared to grow, develop, and learn alongside a team and the leaders of our company. Our Interns are offered a unique opportunity to provide valuable support to Iridium on projects and work assignments as well as the chance to participate in exciting activities that will allow you to connect with senior leadership and fellow interns.
What We’re Looking For:
Iridium is searching for a talented and motivated intern to join their System Performance and Analysis team as a Data Engineer Intern. In this role, you will contribute to data processing, reporting, and analysis. You will learn and help develop tools and techniques such as predictive analytics and machine learning to understand the performance characteristics of the Iridium constellation. Strong communication skills and customer service orientation are essential for success in this team-driven environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Participate in the daily stand-up describing current work as described by Jira tickets
- Collaborate with senior engineers and other members of the team, including managers, to research and help solve important technical problems in data intensive operations related to system performance of the Iridium constellation
- Collaborate in Machine Learning and predictive analytics
- Develop new features for existing data pipelines
Skills You’ll Obtain:
- An understanding of low level data about the constellation performance (ground, space vehicles, gateways, etc.)
- Technical collaboration with the immediate team as well as external teams in the form of documentation, code, presentations, and daily interactions
- Coding & software development in a professional, production, environment
- Applied analytics & machine learning
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Practical knowledge of at least one programming language: Python, Java, etc.
- An interest on Satellite Constellations and associated services
- An interest on data intensive applications, data analysis and machine learning
Things You Must Bring to the Table:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Must be currently enrolled in a bachelors or graduate degree program at an accredited academic institution
- Please indicate Preferred Major(s): Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, Electrical engineering
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.