Communications Intern-Spring 2024 (remote)
Communications Intern (NY) Spring 2024 - Remote
The Human Rights First communications department is seeking an intern to join our team. Interns on the marketing and communications team will learn valuable skills in non-profit communications strategies and tactics as well as a strong understanding of the fight for human rights. Our interns are involved in all of our organization’s efforts to communicate to the general public. They can attend any policy, program, or advocacy meeting that piques their interest and, with guidance, create and have published products like social media and blog posts. In addition, our interns cull the organization’s media clips and mentions and present them to the organization at large.
A computer and internet connection are required for this position. Please note the internship is unpaid but can provide school credit.
- Develop creative digital and social media content, including considerable digital design
- Create graphics in Canva
- Schedule social media output
- Monitor allies’ and competitors’ feeds
- Research and track press mentions and relevant media coverage
- Monitor press for our experts’ mentions
- Update and maintain our clips database
- Attend communication meeting
- Attend another team meeting (TBD)
- Note-taking duties as appropriate
- Blog post on issue of interest that relates to our organization’s work
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated interest in the communications field
- Strong writing skills
- Social media expertise: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Experience using Hootsuite and Canva
- Experience with Burrelles clip management software (preferred, not necessary)
- Clips database management
EDUCATION: Currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate program
START DATE: January 22, 2024
TIME COMMITMENT: 15 hours per week minimum.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: December 1, 2023
APPLICATION MATERIALS: Resume and cover letter
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives make us stronger and more effective.