Public Defender's Office Outreach Coordinator (AmeriCorps)
Join the team at the Steuben County Public Defender's Office! The Outreach Coordinator will organize, plan, schedule and create materials for community outreach and legal information distribution. This person will represent the Public Defender’s Office and work with staff, and outside organizations, to develop and implement initiatives that increase legal education and awareness in the community. This position is designed to promote public education and awareness on topics such as parental resources, mental health issues, navigating substance abuse treatment, basic legal rights pertaining to Criminal Law and other areas. Community-driven, enthusiastic and self-motivation is key in continuing the Mission of the Steuben County Public Defender’s Office.
Please note, this is a Public Health AmeriCorps position, not a traditional job or internship. Members will serve in-person in Bath, NY for 1200 total hours of service throughout a 10-11 month period at 30-35 hours/week. Members receive a living allowance of $15,000 (divided into biweekly payments throughout the term) and an education award of $4,826.50 (to be used on qualified education expenses).
We do not accept the Handshake application as a full application. To apply, please visit our website.
- Organize, plan and present community outreach information via social media platforms to promote public education and awareness on topics such as parental resources, mental health issues, navigating substance abuse treatment, basic legal rights pertaining to Criminal Law as this office moves in the direction of providing holistic defense.
- Create and maintain a cache of self-help resources for online distribution; gather information from outside organizations/agencies regarding contact person, address, telephone numbers, hours of operation, functions of the organization/agency and how they could help Public Defender clients. Develop an information/resource library – including colleges, trade opportunities, community resources, etc.
- Create and update as necessary a resource brochure for clients.
- Communicate with local media agencies to share facts about our office’s work or community needs as highlighted through Public Defense work.
- Maintain file and electronic documentation related to each outreach notification, topics, feedback, partnerships, new collaborations with outside organizations, suggestions, etc.
- Collaborate with outside organizations and agencies to participate disseminating information.
- Direct calls and/or correspondence with individuals who would like more information on the event topic(s); act as liaison for individual with presentable topic/agency/organization.
- Research & share information that could be added to the PD website relevant to the work PD’s office does and to provide educational knowledge for public awareness.
- Assist in the implementation of creating holistic defense practices.
- Assist in the establishment of the Public Defender Client personal needs inventory.
- Driver's License
- Personal vehicle
- COVID vaccination (original shot(s) and at least one booster)