Public Defender's Office Intake Advocate (AmeriCorps)
Join the team at the Steuben County Public Defender's Office! The Intake Advocate is the first point of contact for individuals and current clients coming to the Steuben County Public Defender’s Office or calling. The Advocate will meet with new and/or current clients, perform basic intake investigation, compile data and communicate information to the appropriate staff attorney or paralegal to determine the next course of action for clients or prospective clients.
Please note, this is a Public Health AmeriCorps position, not a traditional job or internship. Members will serve in-person in Bath, NY for 1200 total hours of service throughout a 10-11 month period at 30-35 hours/week. Members receive a living allowance of $15,000 (divided into biweekly payments throughout the term) and an education award of $4,826.50 (to be used on qualified education expenses). We also have a smaller, 900 hour term available (20-25 hours/week).
We do not accept the Handshake application as a full application. To apply, please visit our website.
- Answer telephone calls and greet visitors to assess the immediate needs of the client/individual and direct them to the appropriate Public Defense Division.
- Utilize Office Case Management System to determine who a case is assigned to; if unassigned perform conflict check of criminal cases and direct the case to assignment.
- Direct calls to the appropriate staff member, take messages, send emails related to criminal cases.
- Assist support staff with incoming and outgoing mail, copying, preparing correspondence, document service to other county departments, and file maintenance.
- Assist support staff in the processing of new clients, updating current client electronic and paper case files.
- Communicate with staff to ensure that quality service is being provided.
- Driver's License
- Personal vehicle
- COVID vaccination (original shot(s) and at least one booster)